New Portabrace hard case? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 1st, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1
Major Player

New Portabrace hard case?

Has anyone tried the new Portabrace wheeled hard case with their XL2? I have the Pelican and the camera won't fit in their very well unless it is disassembled. The Portabrace looks to be a bit larger.

A word of travel warning. Heathrow in London is implementing more stringent carry-on baggage rules. If your suitcase doesn't fit in the little rack you can't even take it through security. Many of the airlines in the UK are also becoming more strict about carry-on baggage weights (to the point of weighing your bag). So, it may be necessary to check our video gear more often....
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2
New Boot

Try the cases at Calumet (calumetphoto.com). They do have couple of cases bigger than Pelican. I have checked it myself. The largest one is really big where you can fit so many things.
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I decided on the Canon HC-3200 instead of the Pelican. I love that it takes the XL2 complete with lens, etc without breaking it down. It is also lighter than the Pelican, but I suspect holds a lot less. How do you protect the camera in the Pelican and/or Portabrace if you don't break it down?
Brendon Whateley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a Pelican 1610, and break my camera down. I rarely find myself in situations where I have to whip out the camera immediately and start shooting, and when I do find myself in those situations, they're usually the kind of risky situations where I'm using my old GL1 anyway.

Breaking the camera down just makes sense to me. The components are more protected from shock when they are all in isolated compartments in the foam. And breaking down / assembling the camera doesn't take too long anyway. Not much of a chore. And it allows me to fit everything I need into a smaller and more portable case.
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Jarrod, you make some good points. Since I'm currently still very much learning to use the camera, so every time I see anything "filmable", I grab and go. And with a 2 year old boy, leaving it out is a very, very bad idea!

If I was going out to shoot, then breaking it down wouldn't make much difference.
Brendon Whateley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Carry on

I break down my XL2 and fit it into a StormCase hard carry on.No matter what hard case you use it will most likely go over the 7klg allowance with an XL2 inside. I remove the trolly handle,wheel assembly from the case and it just squeezes in on the wieght limit.If they get picky,take out the batteries and carry them in a seperate shopping bag.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Check out some of the Porta Brace soft cases. For air travel, I suggest the Size Wize case, or the Cargo Case 3 (may be a bit too big). Travel may require that the camera gets partially broken down. I have have to remove the viewfinder and matte box in order to get the camera onto the plane. The Size Wize is 47 linear inches, when the length, width and height are added up. Don't know what the limit is in the UK.

www.portabrace.com

A big bright shiny silver case has "STEAL ME" written all over it. Porta Brace cases call less attention to themselves, due to their ugly blue soft case configuration. I've been meaning to take a black Sharpie to the label and black out the name, or possibly remove the label all together.

Just be careful of other folks trying to wedge their overstuffed bags into the space next to your beloved. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get crushed.

Last edited by Mark Sasahara; August 7th, 2006 at 10:39 AM.
Mark Sasahara is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders