DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Settings for shooting for Magic Bullet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/72854-settings-shooting-magic-bullet.html)

Chris Chilton August 2nd, 2006 06:19 PM

Settings for shooting for Magic Bullet

I'm getting the magic bullet movie looks with a program upgrade and some of the presets look pretty good. Should I even mess with the settings on the xl2 if I plan on applying them later or is there still some settings that will improve the looks even more. I'm sure it would vary from look to look, but as a general rule, does anyone have any advise?

Kevin Brumfield August 3rd, 2006 10:13 AM

Hi Chris,

First and foremost I would recommend shooting your content for the best possible image you can achieve. Adjust any setting on the XL2 up front to get the best looking image on tape. It's always better to work in post with properly exposed and WB footage than to try and save poorly shot footage with software.

Magic Bullet is a fine piece of software, but like any setting or filter used in post, your mileage will vary based on the quality of what you start with.

My two cents...

Kevin

David Lach August 3rd, 2006 10:28 AM

To add to Kevin's advice, I'll say that you might want the least contrasty situations possible, because most of those presets will add contrast and everything near clipping value (either blacks or whites) will clip. So whenever possible, try to get your image as flat looking as possible (this includes lighting conditions but also no RGB gain, no setup/pedestal tweaking nor anything else that will compress blacks or whites and diminish dynamic range).

I sometimes add a contrast filter when conditions are too extreme to flatten the image even more when I intend to tweak the look in post.

You might also want to boost sharpness a tad as the MB effects tend to introduce a bit of softness, especially if applying some white/black diffusion, but the XL2 is already pretty sharp at default values so that's up to your liking.

The only rule of thumb should be (besides getting a fairly flat image to work with): test it out before the actual shoot.

Chris Chilton August 3rd, 2006 12:17 PM

Thanks for the replys. This should give me a decent base to start with. I get the sofware in a few days, I'll start playing around if I can find the time. Thanks again!

Ash Greyson August 4th, 2006 12:05 AM

You can have some real fun by shooting opposite of the look you want in post. If you are looking for warm and punchy, shoot it very cold and low contrast. Add the "look" and you get this weird combo look... I did this for a music video... I stumbled onto it by a "b" camera operater that white balanced wrong.

ash =o)