built in mic AND radio mic in 16 bit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 5th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

built in mic AND radio mic in 16 bit?

is there any way to record the input from the front built in mic to one channel and the input from a radio mic connected to an xlr input on the other channel in 16 bit mode?

i am assuming there isnt.

if that is the case can anyone recommend a stereo mic that will replace the front mic (as in sit in the same bracket) and connect via (two) xlr?

many thanks
Ray Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

was it something i said????
Ray Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #3
Major Player

front mic to XLR

I was just about to ask the same question. Ive always wonderd why the mic that comes with the XL2 is some kind of wierd conector. Its like they dont want you to use it for anything else.

Anyway, No, there is no way to connect the front mic to one channel unless somebody knew of some kind of conector piece that would turn that wired canon mic cable to an XLR type.

The audio on the XL2 is a bit frustrating. Seems there could be a more logical and simple way to rought whatever to what channel. But got to work with what you got.
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #4
New Boot

For the wire to swap over from the headphone jack sized connectors, it's pretty simple.

As far as I can recall, the smaller plug is a power feed to the mic while the larger one carries the audio information.

Just get a coupler that can connect a smaller headphone sized connector to a larger 1/4" sized jack.

Then you take a XLR cable(a 3 foot would work), clip off the end that normally plugs into the mic, wire it to a 1/4" stereo male connector, plug it all together, and voila! You've got your stock Canon mic on a XLR feed!

Then for the power connector(assuming my memory is correct and that is infact what the smaller plug is for), you could just get/make an extension for the smaller plug so it can still plug into the place it's supposed to on the camera.

I've made a couple cables that went from 1/4" input to XLR as they don't seem to be readily available anywhere, but they're incredibly simple to make, if you're ok cutting up a $10-$15 XLR cable. Anyway, I'm sure that I didn't explain this very well, if you've got questions, I've got answers!
Will Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Johnson
I've made a couple cables that went from 1/4" input to XLR as they don't seem to be readily available anywhere, but they're incredibly simple to make, if you're ok cutting up a $10-$15 XLR cable. Anyway, I'm sure that I didn't explain this very well, if you've got questions, I've got answers!
I know it's not a dvinfo.net sponsor, but they do have a lot of stuff you can't find anywhere else:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ff=0&sort=prod

That's the link to a 1/4" female to male XLR connector, just what you're describing. MarkerTek's Web site is terrible, but get their free catalog, it's a lot better... then you can take any catalog number and search their site.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #6
New Boot

Wow! I knew someone had to make those things but couldn't ever find someone! Thanks for the tip!

Will
Will Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks for the feedback

has anyone tried the above with the xl2 mic? i am concerned about how close together the two jacks are and if there would be room to pug in an adaptor. is the smaller one definitely for power?

any further thoughts on this would be great. i wouldnt really want to chop the current adaptor off, i would still like the option of stereo onboard mic.

thanks in advance
Ray Coy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders