hey Ash, Chris, anyone? ND markings on 20X lens equal...? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 13th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #16
Major Player

Greg, thank you for clarifying what Mark was saying. Forgive me for being so daft, but I didn't read the post that way at all. It was sort of ambiguously stated.

That makes me a moron.

Last edited by Jarrod Whaley; August 13th, 2006 at 03:26 AM.
Jarrod Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #17
Major Player

Josh - i concede as i whipe the sludge from my brow, but i do it smiling...
i got answers to my questions as it seems others have as well...

thanks all, this was a thread with terrific contributions - much appreciated...
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Ambiguous? No.

Moron? No.

People come here for information. I only talk about what I know. If I, or you don't know, this is a great place to find out. You aren't a moron. I used to teach photography and I always told my students, there are no stupid questions. If you don't know, you don't know. Please ask any questions that you have and I will answer them. If I don't know, I will have an answer for you at the next class.

We all have many different levels of experience, here. My degree is in photography and I've been doing it in one form, or another, for over twenty five years. There is still plenty I don't know about, but I have a lot of resources at my fingertips and I'm willing to learn.

The moment I think I know it all, I'm dead. You can't know it all. But if you are willing to learn and grow and adapt, then you'll probably do fine.

Asking questions is the best way to learn. Making mistakes is part of learning. God knows I've made plenty.
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Trustee

According to an engineer, my original post was approximately correct... whatever THAT means... I think there is a general misunderstanding of the practical application of the math here. I can tell you in practical terms that there is not a 3200% difference with the ND filter on 1/32 and with it off. That makes no practical sense, even if that is what the "math" says. I am sure it has something to do with the CCD size, etc.

The entire reason ND filters are so important on small chip cameras is because the do not operate well with a closed iris. I try to never go above F5 or so...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #20
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
Most have a history with 35mm photography where if you were to be shooting a sunny day with 100 asa film a standard ballpark exposure would be 125 @ f16. In general if you upped your shutter two speeds you would have to open up your aperature two stops.

That's great, Dale. But what if you're not shooting in a ballpark?

Sorry, warped humor mode was on there for a moment. (grin)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #21
Major Player

At older ballparks, you have to open up a short stop.
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
At older ballparks, you have to open up a short stop.
Arrggghh... I guess we'll all be a bunch of comedians when our video/film careers flop. :-)

I recall a few years back, there was a problem at one ballpark with overexposure in the stands.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
I recall a few years back, there was a problem at one ballpark with overexposure in the stands.

-gb-
Yeah, uncontrolled flashing can really bounce the DMax right out of the ballpark.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders