XL2 35mm film camera!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Major Player

XL2 35mm film camera!!!

http://www.panavision.com/product_de...de=c0,c1,c2,c3

;)

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Justin,

I'm going to head down to my reseller tomorrow and tell them there was something wrong with the XL2 in my box when I got it...

...with any luck I'll be the proud new owner of the XL2 Panaflex

; )
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'm using one these on my current movie right now, and it is indeed a slightly different animal than the Canon...! I think there was some sort of scuffle between Panavision and Canon over the name, but I forgot what the outcome was.
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Wrangler

Ah sorry, I spoke too soon--we are actually using the original XL body on current feature, not the XL2, although our body has some extra goodies on it (call it an XL1.5?), as our first assistant Baird Steptoe has the kind of relationship with Panavision where he gets the best and latest gear (worked great on our Genesis show earlier this summer).

Here's a pic of us doing an exotic flavor of handheld shot, where after running up to the gurney I needed to get the lens higher than I could on the shoulder. I enlisted our key grip to help hoist the camera up with me midshot and take some of the weight (about 40 lbs) while we tracked the patient into the ambulance in closeup, on a 35mm lens. It worked out better than I thought it might--have never done a 2-man handheld shot!
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 35mm film camera!!!-emergencysquad51.jpg  
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg
Justin,

I'm going to head down to my reseller tomorrow and tell them there was something wrong with the XL2 in my box when I got it...

...with any luck I'll be the proud new owner of the XL2 Panaflex

; )
Interesting you say that, you cant own Panavision cameras they own there entire inventory.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Fisher
Interesting you say that, you cant own Panavision cameras they own there entire inventory.
Yeah, don't you have to do some sort of course/license to call yourself a Panavision operator ? I know some of the grips I've worked with have ???
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen McLaughlin
Yeah, don't you have to do some sort of course/license to call yourself a Panavision operator ? I know some of the grips I've worked with have ???
Perhaps a Panavision UK thing--no such requirement over here. It's just a camera system after all, nothing mythological.

(p.s. we all know Dennis was making a joke, right?)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders