DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 vs. GL2, yes another topic lol (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/73530-xl2-vs-gl2-yes-another-topic-lol.html)

Kyle Prohaska August 13th, 2006 11:06 AM

XL2 vs. GL2, yes another topic lol

I've talked to many people, posted on alot of forums but what I want is an answer from someone who has used the GL2 and XL2. I can buy a GL2 for cash right now or I can pay off half of an XL2 and get a loan at my local bank to pay off the rest. I want to get it from B&H because I know they are trust worthy.

This is my question, is an XL2 too much? I record sunday sermons every week, might do some weddings, special events, but also want to do filmmaking primarily with it. Is the XL2 worth double the price of a GL2 or could the GL2 suffice for my needs? One thing about the XL2 is the 16:9 which I would mostly shooting in and the small features I would really love like Black Stretch, that one I would really love. Idk I just dont know if getting it is necessary or not. Obviously the 16:9 quality beats the GL2. I am going to film school hopefully in 2 years and I feel that the XL would provide me with more experience also. Idk what do you guys think?

-Kyle

Adam Bray August 13th, 2006 06:18 PM

I'm not pro, but I own both and will comment.

The XL2 is obviously the better camera. But I think if you had a GL2 and learned it inside and out, the jump to the XL2 would be more easy.

Also, you said you're going to do wedding events and such to make money. The way I see it, if you can't make money with the GL2, you're not going to make any money with the XL2 either. You could have a GL2 and good editing skills, and impress you clients more than if you had an XL2 and bad editing skill.

The quality of your work is going to depend on your artistic skills, not on the camera. Plus if you spend all your money on a single camera, you have no money left over for audio, computers, software, etc.

If I was you, I'd buy a used GL2, and invest in a good computer and NLE.

Ash Greyson August 13th, 2006 07:58 PM

Also consider the DVX-100 series as well...

ash =o)

Kevin Brumfield August 15th, 2006 08:34 AM

Hey Kyle,

Both Adam and Ash make good points. I, too, own both the XL2 and GL2, and shoot weddings and events with them. The GL2 is a fine camera in well lit environments, but falls well short of the XL2's capabillities when the lights dim.

Even using the GL2 on 1/30 shutter speed and a wide open apeture the GL2's 1/4 inch CCDs just can't seem to capture enough light when compared to the XL2's 1/3 inch CCDs and it's multitude of presets. Also, the GL2s CCDs seem to introduce considerable noise in low light, even when using a minimal gain setting.

I don't mean to discourage you from going with the GL2. You just need to use the right tool for the right job. For myself, if I could do it over again, I think I would reconsider my GL2 purchase and look at a DVX-100 or VX2100.

Best of luck.

Kevin

Ian Stark August 15th, 2006 09:34 AM

I'm another owner of both cameras and I confirm that in low light the GL2 (or XM2 as we call it in the UK) is a poor performer. Obvious solution - use some of the cash you save to get a Kinoflo or similar! Dunno if that's a cool thing to do at weddings though!

A further problem with has plagued MANY GL2 owners is a problem with the transport mechanics and a recurring fault which forces you to remove and re-insert the tape. Really annoying and seemingly not acknowledged publicly by Canon. There's a thread here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42822 which shows how common the problem is and some of the desperate and extreme measures people are taking to resolve it.

I must say that despite that issue the GL2 is a fantastic camera at its price point and I wouldn't have chosen any other cam had I known then what I know now (I think that's what I mean).

I only bought the XL2 because my GL2 died (hmm . . . not a good ad for it, eh?) and I figured that it was time to upgrade and cash in some of what I've earned using the GL2. Otherwise I'd still be using it today.

Tough decision.

Sang Siharath August 15th, 2006 11:32 AM

Kyle,
I started out with a GL2 three years ago and it's fantastic. I have just owned an XL2 last month and it's still a learning curve for me. Both GL2 and XL2 are excellent in day light quality and both share the same accessories. I've heard SONY is better in low light, but I'm not sure how much because I've never seen a comparision side by side. I did a lot of research before going with the GL2. I had a list of what I need and want. The number 1 need was the longest zoom as possible and the GL2 was sitting on top of the list. It was a must have for me so SONY or PANNY was not an option. I then need another cam to go along with my GL2 and this time was a very easy decision to go with the XL2 because they both have a lot in common and 16:9 is also a must. If the job requires only one cam, I'll use the XL2 and 16:9 video. If a job requires two cams, I'll then shoot in 4:3 because the GL2 didn't look too good in 16:9. I never have a job that requires 2 cams in 16:9 yet. If I do, I'll rent another XL2.

It wasn't that easy to choose a cam when you don't have a lot of cash available. But, if you have a list of what must have, it will be much easier to choose. One thing I know for sure is that you can't have everything in one cam under $5k.

I hope I helped you something.