What is better 25p or 50i - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 18th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #16
Trustee

Hope it works out OK for you John. Play with the 25p later when you have more time to experiment.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
So should you shoot in progressive scan?
Me? As I say, I’m not a fan of progressive scan. Trying to emulate a technology from years gone by does have its followers, but I for one fail to see how it helps artistically or technically.

tom.
I actually believe that anything that takes away from the standard interlaced video look, especially within the pro-consumer realm of dv cameras helps a great deal artistically and technically.

The trouble with technology from the past, is that it is as you suggest 'in the past', rightly or wrongly so, and it can't realistically come back. Not everything that got phased out, got phased out for the right reasons, so as for progressive video emulating the good old days of cine, I'm all for it.
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #18
Major Player

For me personally, shooting progressive isn't so much about trying to emulate film directly; it's more about getting away from negative associations with interlaced video in people's minds. Like it or not, interlaced footage suggests amateurish production values to most people in a very subtle way.

At the end of the day, it all depends upon whether you're going for that "realism" thing that interlaced provides (which is, to me, way too ubiquitous on all levels of our culture) or if you'd like something a little more stylized and cinematic-looking.

As for all this stuff about "old technology," I think it's silly. Both interlaced and progressive can be found very commonly today. And just because progressive frames (in the form of film) are an older way of rendering motion, that doesn't really make progressive obsolete. Film itself may be going that way, but there's nothing inherently outdated about progressive frames.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders