I did it! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Nick, I agree I use the 16x manual lens with my xl 1. It is far better than the stock lens, I guess I come from a background where I've only used cameras with a manual lens, so it's what I prefer. You can't beat the lack of control. Plus there is no guessing with the focus. I have no issues running and gunning with the 16x manual lens. I have worked in plenty of news and sports environments and have always used manual lenses. I just don't trust the auto anything. I have been burned on other projects using auto settings. I too am getting the xl2 (just the camera body) I still have my stock 16 lens plus the 16x manual lens. So I too don't feel the need to get the 20x lens with the xl2.
I think it's all a matter of what you need and don't need. If you can save $700 why not.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM   #17
Trustee

Well the Canon XL-2 arrived today. It is BIG, and it is HEAVY, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I must admit that it will take some getting used to the extra weight, even after useing the XL series since 1998, this is big. Can any of you recommend a quick preset for outdoor nature? Have any of you downloaded presets off the web?
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM   #18
Major Player

Bob--

You'll get used to the size / weight. It's really not that bad once you've become accustomed to it. What really takes some getting used to is shooting on a tripod in tight spaces. I was used to a much smaller camera (GL1) when I got my XL2...

Try the attached preset for shooting nature. The colors are saturated and shifted toward the green a bit to bring out the plantlife. I just used it last week while shooting flowers, caterpillars, and cocoons. The stuff I shot looks great to me. I'm also attaching a still from that shoot so you can get a feel for the preset.
Attached Thumbnails
I did it!-image9.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: bbp nature (jarrod whaley).bbp (322 Bytes, 331 views)
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM   #19
Major Player

That preset jooks good Jarrod... do you have any more custom ones that aren't already floating around these forums?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #20
Trustee

Jarrod, that looks really nice, what were your settings. Bob
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #21
Major Player

The BBP file he has attached has the settings, you should be able to open that in notepad or textedit (mac)
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #22
Major Player

Nick--

I have a few other presets, but for the most part they're very similar to this one, only with varying RGB gain levels. I've really only had two major projects going since I got my XL2: For one of them, I'm basically using variations on the above preset (one for daytime interiors, one for daylight exteriors, etc.); for the other, I'm using a (very) slightly modified version of Ash Greyson's B&W Contrast preset (thanks, Ash). So not a lot of variety in my preset library at this point.
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #23
Trustee

For some reason I can't open the attachment. Bob
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay
For some reason I can't open the attachment. Bob
Bob, did you get the file saved on your computer? What Operating System are you using? What program are you trying to use to open in?

On Windows, Notepad will open the file once saved.
Brendon Whateley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Trustee

Brendon, thanks, you were right, I downloaded it to notebook. Bob
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #26
New Boot

Bob,

Congrats on the purchase. I'm south of ATL and purchased my XL2 at B&H over a year ago. I do mostly event shoots in the horse business. The camera is great and despite a consdierable amount of effort, I still haven't caught up to the capabilities it offers.

Enjoy!
Scott Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:02 AM   #27
Trustee

XL-1s compaired to XL-2

Please see my new post on compairing the XL-1s to the XL-2. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders