DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL-2 shoulder pad removal (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/74302-xl-2-shoulder-pad-removal.html)

Bob Safay August 26th, 2006 07:06 AM

XL-2 shoulder pad removal

Question, has anyone tried removeing the shoulder pad from the XLR mount? It looks like there are four screws that hold the bottom of the pad to the top part, I was wondering if you took the bottom half of the pad off if you could then remove the top of the pad from the XLR mount without effecting the camcorder? Bob

Bill Hamell August 27th, 2006 11:34 AM

I had the pad off once, I thought it was interfering with mounting it on a cheese plate. turned out it was not so I put it back on, that is as far as I went.

Bill

Matthew Nayman August 27th, 2006 01:08 PM

I have read that removal is not reccommended as the XLR hardware is partially housed in the pad.

Matt

Bob Safay August 28th, 2006 04:04 AM

Well I do not think I will be trying that. Thanks for the information. Bob

Bill Hamell August 28th, 2006 03:18 PM

Bob,

I looked at mine again today, and I remembered this.. When you take the four screws out you find that there are two retaining srcrews holding the upper section on. You can access those screws through two acess holes on the right side of the camera. (tape side)
Look at the right side of the pad you will see two "dots" these are rubber covers throgh these you can acess the screws holding the pad on without taking the four (pad) screws out.
I have not taken the shoulder pad compleately off as in the end it was not in the way.

Bill

Bob Safay August 28th, 2006 03:50 PM

Bill, I see what you mean. I may hold off on doing this. After just three days the weight and size just feels normal. I must say that the lens and view finder are chrystal clear. I have had the XL-1 and the XL-1s and find the XL-2 picture much clearer and the color more saturated. Also, for the first time I feel that I can actually trust the auto focus. I have a lot to learn about as there are soon many different settings to play with. Thank you Canon. Bob

Craig Greenwood September 17th, 2006 08:44 PM

I've removed the shoulder pad off of mine while tinkering with a custom shoulder mount. To remove the pad assembly, leave the screws on the bottom of the pad in. Remove the "dots" that have been previously mentioned. They are advesive and come off with a bit of prying with a knife blade. If I remember correctly, I think you'll nee a torx driver to remove the pad. Removing the pad did not expose anything inside the XLR connector housing. There are a couple of ribs that the shoulder pad fit on to.

I put the pad back on quickly because I found no benefit to having it removed.