DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   xlr and sound on xl2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/74550-xlr-sound-xl2.html)

Vedran Rupic August 30th, 2006 01:25 PM

xlr and sound on xl2

i have posted a problem I have on the sound forum, but there are some things I need to know thats specific for the XL2.
I'm planning on using the xlr input to connect a shotgun and a wireless lavalier.
But the thing is, i seem to be getting to much noise, even when the ports are only selected with the switches and nothing is plugged in, i get a severve amount of noise in my headphones when a tweak the levels knob.
I mean, Is there something wrong with my camera or is this standard. Should i set it in a diffrent matter? whenever I change between the sources in the input selector, i get the worst noise on the "rear" then on the "front" and absolutely nothing on "audio1".

Please can someone help me, I am going to production on friday I have to fix this.

regards

Jarrod Whaley August 30th, 2006 03:09 PM

Well, I said what I'm about to say in the other thread, but I'll say it again...

Make sure it isn't just the headphones. If the noise you're hearing isn't actually being recorded to tape, then you have nothing to worry about other than getting some new headphones.

Play back some stuff you've shot on some decent speakers and see if you still hear the noise.

Vedran Rupic August 30th, 2006 03:24 PM

Sorry for having pretty much the same conversation on two threads but I'm desperate.
I recorded a clip with the cam, first i switched the front mic mode, and unplugged the mic, and then i tweaked the knobs back and forth, thus increasing the noise volume, it's hearable pretty much from 10-11 o'clock on the knobs, i did the same thing setting the camera to rear, and the noise is somewhat louder in this mode.
at no point where there mics connected, but i've tried with the mics and its the same.

Michael Connor September 23rd, 2006 10:25 PM

yr gonna have to take a look inside... or get someone to do it for you. Stuff like this happens with mike inputs on all sorts of cheaper end electrical equipment these days, but shoudnt with these cameras. Get profesional help id say since youve isolated the problem.

Greg Boston September 23rd, 2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedran Rupic
Sorry for having pretty much the same conversation on two threads but I'm desperate.
I recorded a clip with the cam, first i switched the front mic mode, and unplugged the mic, and then i tweaked the knobs back and forth, thus increasing the noise volume, it's hearable pretty much from 10-11 o'clock on the knobs, i did the same thing setting the camera to rear, and the noise is somewhat louder in this mode.
at no point where there mics connected, but i've tried with the mics and its the same.

A similar problem to this bit me when I first used the XLR on my XL2. There are two swtiches near the rear jacks. One is for 48v phantom power. The other is for input ATTenuation. Here's the kicker. The ATTenuation is active when the switch is in the DOWN position. That's counterintuitive and I didn't notice at first. I was jacking the level pot way up and getting all sorts of noise. When I figured it out, the level pots were running about 10 o'clock and audio was noise free.

There is also an attenuation setting in the audio menus. Make sure to check that as well.

Good luck,

-gb-