Pelican 1564 case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM   #1
Trustee

Pelican 1564 case

Hi, has anyone tried the Pelican 1564? It is the 1560 with the padded (not foam) dividers. It looks perfect for the XL-2, a 20x, plus 3x, and all the accessories. $177.95 at B&H. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Major Player

It's going to be a bit of a tight fit, if it fits at all. You will definitely have trouble squeezing the XL2 in there without disassembling first, if that's important to you.

I'd really recommend stepping up to the 1614 (or 1610 if you want the pick-n-pluck). I myself and many others around here use it. You can fit the whole camera--assembled--into there if you want, with a little bit of room for other stuff. You'll have even more extra room (for lenses, etc.) if you disassemble.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:43 AM   #3
Trustee

Jarrod, Thanks for the reply. I thought about the size a lot. First, I always disassemble the camcorder when traveling. I used a Tamrac hard case for many years with the XL-1s plus a 3x, but the XL-2 is a bit longer. Also, I was interested in this size as it clears carry on regulations and yet I would feel safe checking it is I had to. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Major Player

The 1610/1614 is a little too big for carry-on. You might need to pick up a smaller duffel bag sort of thing for situations like this.

The 1500 series Pelicans are just too small to be usable with this camera, though.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just went to California and back (from Austin). I carried on a hardshell case (not the Pelican) with my XL2. The XL2 fits with the lens attached, along with a dual battery pack, mic and viewfinder and a 7" LCD.

The case was slightly less than the combined measurements stated as a carry on.

BTW I happened to see a couple of acoustic guitars being carried on.

I don't know how big the 1610/1614 is but you can check with your airline for the total combined measurements (L+W+H) and don't quote me, but I think it was 45". Mine turned out to be a couple of inches less.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders