DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Clunking noise when turning on (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/74735-clunking-noise-when-turning.html)

Bob Sandifer September 2nd, 2006 05:01 PM

Clunking noise when turning on

ok...am I just paranoid or is something wrong here. I dont seem to remember this "clunk" from the front of my XL2 when I turned it on before but I have been using my GL2 for the past few shoots and I might have forgotten about it.

It seems to be coming from the front portion of the camera body just at the tape transport. The camera seems to work great. Did I just forget about the noise?

signed

worried in NorGa

Brendon Whateley September 2nd, 2006 05:33 PM

I just tested mine... The 20x lens makes a pretty good "clunk" when turned on. That must be the IS coming to life. The transport mechanism also makes a few less clunky noises.

My best advice is to forget about the noise and go back to shooting...

Jarrod Whaley September 2nd, 2006 07:52 PM

It's normal.

Michael Cassidy September 3rd, 2006 01:34 AM

I didn't notice it at first ,but when I did, I thought, Oh NO! But on checking my other XL2, it did the same, so worry not! I'm paranoid about white balance at the minute, next week...who knows!

Bob Safay September 3rd, 2006 04:59 AM

It scared me to at first, But now I am used to it. I think it is "turning the lens on". Bob

Mike Teutsch September 3rd, 2006 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay
It scared me to at first, But now I am used to it. I think it is "turning the lens on". Bob

"Turning on," is one way to put it. It's the servo motor moving or hunting for its home location prior to use. Any servo controlled unit needs to find out where it is before it can go anywhere. Once it finds "home," it move to a predetermined start point. From the start point it can go whereever it needs to go and always know where zero is.

I have an older 20x lens also, and it is not as loud. I think they beefed up the mechanism in later models.

Mike

Matthew Nayman September 3rd, 2006 07:19 AM

In the immortal words of Dan Akroyd... "Wanna see something really scary?"

Think the clunking is bad? Look at the front element of your 20X when you first turn your camera on... go on, do it...

AHHHH!!

I love that wobble. It's the IS engaging. Never get tired of watching that (and I have had my cam for over a year!)

Jesse Redman September 3rd, 2006 12:24 PM

Mine has always made the "clunk" sound. It's now about 1 1/2 years old.

Cal Johnson September 3rd, 2006 09:54 PM

Mine made that clunking sound too... then I went to tilt down and all the lens elements spilled out onto the floor.

I am joking, of course.

Julian Seeto September 4th, 2006 09:23 PM

haha yeah that clunk always arouses interest amongst my mates.. "man your lens is broken or something!"

julz

Bob Sandifer September 10th, 2006 05:23 PM

I am much better off now than I was a few days ago....LOL
I always use it outside and recently we started doing more stuff in the studio. It is amazing what you hear when people are not shooting at you...errr...with paintball guns that is.

Thanks folks.