Weddings - The First Dance Advice Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Weddings - The First Dance Advice Please

I have downloaded the wedding custom preset from this website, the ceremony looks great!

I am white balancing before each section - I am not using a light on the camera and I am about to shoot on the dark dance floor. Does anyone have advice re shutter speeds/gain/exposure etc to capture the mood, and keep the darkness true on the footage of the first dance when using the custom preset. Should I continue to use the TV mode, or the Spotlight or Low light modes?

My second family wedding is forthcoming (in the UK) so should be able to experiment - but would like to hear of your preferences out there.
Julian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I tend to work with around 6-9db of gain in at this point in the proceedings. Assuming we're talking about typical night time/night club lighting then it seems to work ok in terms of representing the mood truthfully ?

I don't like working with the iris wide open, certainly no more than around f2.8 and ideally narrower when possible? It's a tricky situation, you can always ask for the lights to be left up a little for the first dance or two, without killing the atmosphere for the party goers.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Allen, just out of curiosity why dont you like to open the iris all the way?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Haupt
Allen, just out of curiosity why dont you like to open the iris all the way?
Because it's difficult to assess the focus with the combination of a negligible depth of field and a poor LCD viewfinder. I think somewhere between f5.6-4.0 is the ideal hunting ground, but not easily attainable at a relatively uncontrollable event such as a wedding shoot.
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, makes sense.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Off Topic

I found this little clip via another forum and thought some of the wedding guys would appreciate the sentiment...

http://www.videobycarol.com/home_pag...otography.html
Old September 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Allen, that was very funny.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders