TA-100 compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 20th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Trustee

TA-100 compatibility

I bought the TA-100 Quick Release plate
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
when I bought my XL2 almost 2 years ago. I kept the plate on my tripod all the time and loved the convenience factor.

Several months ago, I bought the Tiffen Steadystick
http://dvcreators.net/steady-stick
(thank you Guy Cochran for saving my skin on that one just in time for a lengthy shoot), and I love the Steadystick also. I shoot with it now just about all the time.

My question is regarding my occasional need to go back and forth between the Steadystick and my tripod during shooting sessions. As it is, I cannot use the TA-100 anymore when doing this because of the need to screw the mount bracket to the XL2 in order to use the quick release plate. The mount bracket must be removed in order to use the cam on the Steadystick mount plate.

This means I have to use the standard screw-hole mount on my tripod head when placing the XL2 on the tripod - and sometimes this is very difficult because on some shoots, I have loads of extras (batteries, mics, & lights) mounted on the XL2, making it very heavy, and under stressful event shooting sessions, I really hate trying to hold and balance the whole kit while also trying to line up the mount screw on my tripod head. I almost lost the whole kit once or twice to accidental gravitational acceleration followed by abrupt termination of movement.

Does anyone know of a functional workup that would allow me to continue using my TA-100 quick release plate AND the Steadystick...or basically, is there a comfortable way to use the Steadystick on the XL2 while the TA-100 cam mount bracket is attached to the cam? I'm almost thinking I may have to tap a new screwhold in the bottom of the mount bracket to accomodate the Steadystick mount screw. Before I do that I just looking for some feedback from others who may have a better solution.

I can consider other quick release options, but since I already have the TA-100, I'm trying to optimize its use first.

Thanks in advance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders