DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Pelican 1650 Case for Canon XL2 Pictures (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/76622-pelican-1650-case-canon-xl2-pictures.html)

Gary Gonsalves October 2nd, 2006 12:01 PM

Pelican 1650 Case for Canon XL2 (Pictures Included)

Hi,

I just purchased a Pelican 1650 Case for my Canon XL2 and it's accessories. I chose the 1650 after researching past threads by users. Without a doubt the case is pretty large and it does hold a lot of equipment. I posted a couple of pictures of the case since I noticed in several earlier posts that some people were interested in acually seeing how much space there really is. I will update the photos a.s.a.p. since I didn't have my regular camera and had to use an old Mavica. The quality of the photos show.

The case supports the (Top Row) Canon XL2 with its 20X Lense and Hood attached, a Canon 3X Wide Angle Lense with Hood and filters, (Lower left) a Bescor Battery Back up for my Pro Prompter, (Lower Right) two Sennheiser EW100 G2's with cables, two Canon Batteries, DV Tapes, Batteries for the Sennheisers, Headphones and Misc. Cables. As you can see, there is still plenty of room for additional items.

I hope this helps for anyone who is considering this case.

http://www.geocities.com/tyrant81/MVC-047F.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/tyrant81/MVC-048F.JPG

Paul Gallagher October 2nd, 2006 02:13 PM

Thanks for the pictures Gary,

Do you think it would fit in with the ch-910 dual charger fitted and 2 batteries in it as I a seriously looking for a case at the moment, but the only country I can seem to get one in is the USA, and as I live in Ireland thats a bit of a problem. All I can see available to me over here is carry bags for them.

Thaks again for the pics.

Paul

Paul Gallagher October 2nd, 2006 02:18 PM

What type of mic is that you have fitted in the camera in the picture Gary?

Paul

Gary Gonsalves October 2nd, 2006 04:01 PM

Plenty of room

Paul, There is plenty of room for the Canon CH-910 Dual Charger. In fact, I can even fit the Pro Prompter in it if I want to. I have already laid it out and there is plenty of room. So that is not going to be a problem for you.

The microphone is a Audio-Technica AT897 - Short Condenser Shotgun Microphone http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Luke Springer October 4th, 2006 10:15 PM

Are you happy with that mic? How does it compare to the stock microphone?

Thanks,
Luke

Jarrod Whaley October 4th, 2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Springer
Are you happy with that mic? How does it compare to the stock microphone?

It doesn't. :) The stock mic is a stereo omni, and the AT897 is a monophonic short shotgun. The differences between the two are huge. Read up on mics in the Now Hear This forum, and check out some of Ty Ford's samples, to learn about these differences.

Gary Gonsalves October 11th, 2006 03:47 PM

Updated Picture of Case

Here is an updated picture of the Pelican Case housing the Canon XL2 with several other item.

http://www.geocities.com/tyrant81/Case.jpg

Paul Gallagher October 12th, 2006 11:41 AM

Looking the part Gary, i'm in the middle of pricing for one myself.

Paul

Jonathan Kirsch October 12th, 2006 03:30 PM

Custom cut?

Thanks for the pics, Gary.

Did you cut the foam yourself, or did you have it custom-cut? I was going to go with a Portabrace case, but they REALLY messed up my order, and it's been three weeks, so I dumped them and will go with a Pelican.

Jonathan

Gary Gonsalves October 13th, 2006 04:58 AM

The foam is not custom cut. The bottom of the case has three layers of foam. The first two top layers are approximately 6 inches thick and then there is a bottom layer.

The foam is cut in small squares which allows for you to pluck out the dimensions that you need. If you get good at it you can pluck it out keeping the sections you removed rather large in case you want to fill it back in. You can either pluck out the top section of foam for shallower items or pluck out both section as I did for the Camera.

I really don't see a reason to have it lazer cut other than for looks. If your change you mind and want to move things around, you can either fill the areas back in with what you memoved or start from scratch by purchasing a new foam kit which I believe costs around $50.00.

I don't know too much about the Porta Brace cases but a big selling point for me are the four wheels the case has, the multiple handles and the large solid handle when using the wheels. Because the handle is solid you are able to place another smaller case against it without the case falling off.

Jonathan Kirsch October 13th, 2006 11:08 AM

Good to know, Gary. I just purchased the 1510 (instead of the Portabrace due to PB's lack of shipping: 3 weeks and it's still not here!)cuz I do a lot of international travelling and I needed a case that would be acceptable to airline size specs (hand baggage), as well as keep as much equipment with me as possible. Two trips (one to Spain, one to Italy) have shown me how easy it is for airlines to "lose" baggage. Luckily I had my camera and majority of my equipment in the Portabrace soft case I carry onto the plane. It's about the same size as the Pelican, but not enough pockets/areas for the batteries/tapes/etc. so when I have to pull it out for security checkpoints, it gets kinda cumbersome to unload/load everything.

Jonathan

Jarrod Whaley October 13th, 2006 11:17 AM

Jonathan--

I've never used a 1510 so I can't say for sure, but I think you may find that it is too small for the XL2. B&H lists the interior dimensions for this case as 20.24 x 11.38 x7.58, and the XL2's dimensions as 8.9 x 8.7 x 19.5. So while the XL2 will fit into the case on two dimensions, the third and smallest dimension of the case is smaller than any of the camera's measurements. The 1510 may be carry-on size, which is handy... but it suddenly becomes much less handy when the camera won't fit inside it. :)

I'm guessing that the seller that you're dealing with had the case listed as being compatible with the XL2. I've seen plenty of sites that make this claim about even smaller cases. But they may be either making this claim because the cases in question were once fine for the XL1 (which is a bit smaller than the XL2), or else maybe they're just completely full of BS. Or maybe they're right and the smaller cases are fine; those measurements seem to be describing a fully-assembled XL2, so maybe a disassembled camera will fit. Still though, I personally wouldn't trust a case bought on the internet to be the right size when the listed measurements are clearly less than those of the camera.

Just thought I'd sprinkle in a little healthy doubt. :)

Gary Gonsalves October 13th, 2006 01:08 PM

By no means would you be able to carry this case on to a plane, unless you own the plane of course :) It's a big case and does have some weight to it.

Jarrod Whaley October 13th, 2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Gonsalves
By no means is would you be able to carry this case on to a plane, unless you own the plane of course :) It's a big case and does have some weight to it.

Just to clarify, he's talking about the 1510, which is quite a bit smaller than the 1650 pictured in this thread. The 1610 (which I have) is too big for carry-on too, so if the 1510 is too small for the camera, then a case sized between the 1610 and 1510 is in order... or else just use a padded bag for carry-on.

John Threat October 13th, 2006 08:30 PM

Thanks for posting this and the pictures. I'm going to purchase this based on your post which inspired research. It's a great case for the XL-2 with massive amounts of accessories.