DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   On-camera light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/77093-camera-light.html)

Jonathan Kirsch October 8th, 2006 07:52 PM

On-camera light

Only saw two threads for this, and didn't get an answer to a question I have.

I need to replace the Paglight C-6 for my XL2, since it's a POS light. I know it's only 6 watts, but the whole system sucks. Anyway, I don't like the LED light everyone's talking about. I need something mobile that can light up about 10 feet in front of me. I do video work in wine cellars overseas a lot and I need to be able to shoot the barrels and do off the shoulder interviews during tours. Any suggestions? Thinking about an Anton-Bauer Ultralight...but don't know how to mount it onto the camera. Same for the Frezzis.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2006 02:30 AM

Frezzi mini fill. It's a 50 watt with a dimmer. I also bought the softbox and an Anton Bauer battery with the oldmount for the XL2. This rig is INDISPENSABLE for low light stuff, like run and gun and weddings. It has saved my as many times.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Bruce S. Yarock October 9th, 2006 02:32 AM

That' "goldmount" not "oldmount". The Frezzi comes with apost that slides into the shoe fitting on top of the viewfinder.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Jonathan Kirsch October 9th, 2006 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info, Bruce. I'll keep it in mind.

Jonathan

Jeff Anselmo October 9th, 2006 08:18 PM

Bruce,

How long does the AB batt last when shooting a wedding? I'm thinking of getting an on cam light as well, and thinking of getting the NRG light combo set up (w/ batt belt) being sold by Brian at Zotz...(just have to wait 'til we have the money, of course!)

I'm mainly going to be using the on cam light for run and gun docs/interviews, and quite possibly (gulp) a wedding.

Thanks!

--JA

Don Bloom October 9th, 2006 09:16 PM

The time available for an AB battery will depend on many things. 1) the power useage of the camera 2) the draw of the light and 3) which battery you're using. For example an AB Dionic90 on a 20W camera with a 20W light that has an 8 watt drain will run about 3-1/2 hours with the light running constantly while recording. Put the same setup on a 12 W draw camera and the battery should last about 4-1/2 hours. put the same set up on an 8 watt draw camera and I think you get my drift. AB has 30W up to 160W batteries and an Ultralight can use from a 10watt to an 85watt bulb. Pick your poison!

Having said that remember though that there is non record draw on a battery just from the camera being on so really subtract about an hour and you can see times drop a bit but are still good enough to do just about any job out there. When I was using a JVC5000 with a 20W llight and Hytron 120s I could do a wwedding with 2 full and about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a 3rd battery. when I switched to Dionic90s it would take 4 batteries but not fully drained. When I us my DSR250 at a 12 watt draw with a 35W light I rarely get into the 3rd battery (Dionic90s)-sometimes but for the most part 2 batteries takes care of the job and I never get into the 4th battery.
Please understand that Anton Bauer has batteries for every occassion and you should use the one that best "fits" your camera-goto the AB website as they have a very nice and well thought out set up chart that explains all the options.

HTHs

Don

Daniel Wang October 9th, 2006 10:02 PM

Hey Jonathan, glad to see you made it over from B/R. There are a few of us over here.

Let us know what you end up with and how it works, I just got a request from a friend who bought a HL1, and is looking for a setup.

Jonathan Kirsch October 12th, 2006 03:40 PM

Yeah, just trying to get as much input as possible...both forums have great info. I still need to get my boss' OK, but I'll probably go with the Ultralite-2 (hopefully!) Will let you know if/when I get it!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Mark Sasahara October 13th, 2006 06:36 PM

I suggest going with the Anton Bauer system. You can plug your light into the power tap and you're all set. You should be able to get by with two Hytron 50's, or Dionic 90's. If you use a higher wattage light a lot, you may need three batteries. The Titan Twin does a pretty good job of fast charging and it will charge two batts simultaneously.

That said, if I were going to be shooting out in the middle of nowhere with no outlets, I'd opt for a battery belt for any lights. That way the light won't kill the camera power.

Bruce S. Yarock October 13th, 2006 07:39 PM

Jeff,
I try touse the canon batteries for the camera, and reserve the AB for the Frezzi light. I have the fu 1000 monochrome viewfinder, which burns up a LOT of power, so I can't use it for any lenghth of time to power everything.
mark. how's everything in the big A?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Mark Sasahara October 13th, 2006 09:13 PM

Hey Bruce!

Things are okay. Did a little gaffing for Don't Sweat It, on HGTV sometime soon and doing more shooting too. Doing something for Court TV in a week, I'll actually be shooting a tiny bit of 16mm film(!!).

It will most likely be complete insanity, yet hopefully, fun. I'll be in Vero Beach. Is that near you?

Bruce S. Yarock October 16th, 2006 06:24 AM

Mark.
Vero is 1 1?2 hours north of me. it would be great to get together if you have any free time. You can call me at 954-430-1616.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com

Mark Sasahara October 16th, 2006 10:34 AM

I'll give you a call. Not sure how much time I'll have, it looks like I'll have my hands full.

Talk to you soon.