Xl2 Leans To Right at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 24th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1
New Boot

Xl2 Leans To Right

Ok so I've had my xl2 for close to two years now, and I've always noticed that it leans to the right, as in when i level a tri-pod it never is actually "level" when I look through the viewfinder.

i haven't found ANYTHING about this problem anywhere else and I was wondering if this is common of all xl2's or if this is just an isolated case. Please let me know.
Christopher Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Wrangler

I would double check the built in level on your tripod if that's what you're referencing. I had one that wasn't accurate as I was seeing the same thing you were. I put a torpedo level on the tripod plate w/o camera and found the circular level was off. A few delicate taps with a rubber mallet got the two in agreement and then I added a drop of superglue to help keep it in place.

Just a thought,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks for the advice, but it does it on every single tripod i've ever used with it.

has no one else had this problem?
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

No, my XL2 is level when the head is level.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes my XL2 has been leaning (I think to the right) last few shoots I'ver been on. At first I thought it was my tripod but after checking and double checking I discovered it wasnt. I'm thinking it has somthing to do with the plate on the bottom of the camera but I cant find anything. I havent really cared cause I have been just re-leveling my tripod after every setup. Even if the camera is broken I'm not sending it back and going without it for weeks as its gets fixed when I can just adjust my tripod.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez
No, my XL2 is level when the head is level.
Same here.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod Whaley
Same here.
I got it when it first came out. perhaps this was something they fixed in later models?
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have one of the earlier models, it has the 'film grain' button on it.
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #9
New Boot

Hm. So does mine.

I'm at a loss then. Maybe I should contact canon.
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #10
Inner Circle

So what you're saying, is that if you set the camera on an absolutely flat, level surface... a hard table top for instance, then the frame is 'tilted'... that is the top and bottom of the frames are not parallel to the table... right?

(And yes, you'll have to hold the camer in place, as it is not "balanced' to simply sit flat on a surface.)
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #11
New Boot

Yes. Even when held flat to a surface everything is tilted (the camera tilts to the right)
Old October 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Major Player

My viewfinder (the whole thing) tilts left (down)...but I think that's because the locking wheel isn't tight enought. So even though I see stuff level in the viewfinder, I have to make sure the camera isn't leaning right to compensate!

Yeesh.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #13
Major Player

I'm not sure I really see the problem here, even if the camera does want to lean to the right (which I haven't noticed with my XL2). If your tripod can be adjusted to level the image (via a ball joint, for example), can't you just adjust it so that the image is level?
Old October 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #14
New Boot

yes, as a matter of fact you almost inherently start adjusting for it after a while. I was just wondering if this was common amongst all xl2 users or if it was an isolated case
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I guess the question comes down to this. Is the bottom of your CCD block mounted parallell to the botom of the Camera, correct? The way to check that being to use a level to check a table top - (Making sure the surface is perfectly level) then placing the camera flat on the table, and shooting a registration chart that is perfectly flush in front of it (to avoid any keystoning)

Otherwise, yeah... you have to level a camera on a tripod anyway... and hand held shots with the Canon XL@ are ALWAYS a wrestling match! LOL
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders