DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Xl2 end of life? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/79623-xl2-end-life.html)

Michael Pennington November 14th, 2006 05:32 PM

Xl2 end of life?

I'm hearing that they are going to stop selling the XL2. Does anyone know about this? I called Belaire Camera and they have stopped selling it.

Michael

Jonathan Kirsch November 14th, 2006 06:02 PM

I have heard this as well, Michael. I hear it's because the XL2 is going to be the last SD camera Canon makes. Don't know if that's true, though.

Jonathan

Allen McLaughlin November 14th, 2006 06:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised, everything's moving towards HD nowadays.

Pete Bauer November 14th, 2006 06:19 PM

No idea; haven't heard that. FWIW, at the Canon press event last week a rep did make an offhand comment that indicated the XL2 is still selling well. As long as it is listed as current, it's current. If there is any official news otherwise, it'll be on DVinfo!

Chris Hurd November 14th, 2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Pennington
I called Belaire Camera and they have stopped selling it.

Stopped selling it until the next shipment comes in, maybe.

I have a feeling that the XL2 longevity is going to be on par with the GL2. It keeps going... and going...

Kyle Prohaska November 14th, 2006 08:25 PM

If people keep buying them, they'll sell more. They would be dumb not to. Besides not everyone can handle HD on their computers yet so getting rid of SD completely is a dumb move. HD may be populair but its not completely common place yet in the consumer world.

-Kyle, who just bought his XL2 and loves it dearly :)

Henry Gray November 16th, 2006 05:26 AM

XL2 End of Life

I am taking delivery of my new XL2 tomorrow and was begining to think
the same as it has taken my dealer over FOUR weeks to obtain one for
me.

Don't know if it was due to demand or Canon reducing production.

I agree that it's going to be many years before SD is phased out as very
few people in the UK are able to edit or play HD.

I am a wildlife photographer and you just need to look at the quality of
work produced by Per Johan (Under Water, Overland - Musk Ox parts
1 to 5) to see the quality SD can produce.

Per Johan Naesje November 16th, 2006 06:39 AM

I haven't heard either any production stop of the XL2. As Henry says, I'm a very convinced user of the camcorder. Many people tell me that my work is awesome (see the guestbook at my website).

I think the SD-format will stay at the marked for many more years to come...

Mat Thompson November 16th, 2006 07:23 AM

From a marketing point of view this would leave them with a big hole in their offerings. Unless of course they are also about to slash the price of the H1, which I doubt......

Ian Thomas November 16th, 2006 02:30 PM

Yes i too am wildlife filmmaker and i think that the XL2 is by far the best SD camera on the market

I also think it produces better SD pictures than the FX1, and of course the interchangeable lens is a must for wildlife filming

But i would like the XL H1 but its too much for my pocket, but i think it would be the ultimate machine for both SD , HD and wildlife filming

Jonathan Kirsch November 16th, 2006 02:35 PM

Now, when I said that I heard the XL2 was the last SD camera Canon was going to make, I didn't mean they weren't going to make any more XL2s and that what's on the market is all that's left. I meant that I heard there wasn't going to be an XL3, XL4, etc., that the XL2 was the last prosumer SD model they would make. That's not to say they won't still build them. I agree that it's going to be a long while before SD goes away, if it ever does.

Just wanted to clarify.

Jonathan.

Ian Thomas November 24th, 2006 04:29 PM

so how long do you all think that the Xl2 will be ok for broadcast!

Alan James November 24th, 2006 08:06 PM

I have a feeling that they will make an XL3 and maybe an XL4 just because the XL in the name will make sales easier. I hope the XL3 will be HD, Widescreen, 24p, 30p and 60p. It should have cinema gamma curves and color matrix. All the image tweaks XL2 has and has 4:4:4 HD output on a USB 2.0 (like the andromeda(?) system on the DVX-100). I know there is cool stuff to come in the future.

Ash Greyson November 24th, 2006 10:44 PM

Uhhh... they already have the HD XLH1.... look for the XLH2 nexy year...

ash =o)