DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Stopping a Rumor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/80371-stopping-rumor.html)

Lou Bruno November 25th, 2006 07:33 PM

Stopping a Rumor

I reside near Canon Headquarters on Long Island. I met with our Canon representative and I was personally advised that the XL-2 is going to be produced and supported. As a matter of fact it is a TOP SELLER and there are no plans to discontinue the model. Period...............end of sentence.

SO.....if you heard likewise, please inform that individual that any information related to discontinuing, not producing anymore SD cameras are totally false.

Let's put this rumour to rest.

BTW: That goes for the GL-2.

Luke Springer November 25th, 2006 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno

Thank you, I was not sure what to think about the rumors.

Luke

Kyle Prohaska November 25th, 2006 09:55 PM

Good to hear, I just got my damn XL-2 and them discontinuing it would make me feel annoyed lol. I always seem to get things and they are discontinued therefore leaving me with a device labeled as....old. Thanks for the info :)

-Kyle

Greg Boston November 25th, 2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno
not producing anymore SD cameras are totally false.

Lou,

I don't see Canon discontinuing the XL2 either. It is a good seller based on the number of postings we get just on our forum from new XL2 owners.

That being said, when Canon introduced the XL2, they DID SAY that it would be the last SD camera that they produced. And since all subsequently released models have been HDV, I think they were telling the truth. They also went to great pains at the introduction of the XLH1 to say it WAS NOT a replacement for the XL2.

-gb-

Ash Greyson November 26th, 2006 07:34 PM

Canon has stated rather emphatically that they will RELEASE no more prosumer SD cameras. They never said they would stop making their current batch although I am sure they will in the next couple years. Discontinuing something does not mean it has no life left in it. There are many stations both local and national using old Beta cameras that have not been produced in a decade.

ash =o)

Jonathan Kirsch November 27th, 2006 09:46 AM

I have a feeling this is in response to one of my posts. I emphatically stated that it doesn't mean the XL2 won't be supported. Just that there won't be any XL3s or XL4s or whatever. Ash sums the rest up. Thanks, Ash.

Jonathan

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2006 10:51 AM

Also please keep in mind that all camera manufacturers are required to offer service and support of their camcorders for seven years past the end-of-life date. You could buy one and the next day it might be discontinued, but you're still guaranteed full service and support for seven more years. Hope this helps,

Miguel Lombana November 27th, 2006 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Also please keep in mind that all camera manufacturers are required to offer service and support of their camcorders for seven years past the end-of-life date. You could buy one and the next day it might be discontinued, but you're still guaranteed full service and support for seven more years. Hope this helps,

Chris at my company there is a long standing rumor from our customers of a 7 year rule as well and it's totally false. It all stems back to a GSA requirement from years past and somehow has become urban legend. The truth is that manufacturers will do their best effort to support product for up to 7 years beyond their life cycle with adjustments for parts based on supplier issues.

Case and point, we (my company) announced in January of this year that we would no longer support or repair a unit that has been out of production for 3 years, some customers complained and cited the 7 year rule. We showed them a copy of our warranty information and it showed "best effort" for 7 years however in this case due to 3rd party supplier issues beyond our control, we did a last time purchase of some parts and they came to an end earlier this year.

Just wanted to add that so as not to give a false impression.

Miguel Lombana

Lou Bruno November 29th, 2006 04:22 PM

Exellent point Ash. The JVC X-3 is still being sold. It is a S-VHS model used for legal video.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Canon has stated rather emphatically that they will RELEASE no more prosumer SD cameras. They never said they would stop making their current batch although I am sure they will in the next couple years. Discontinuing something does not mean it has no life left in it. There are many stations both local and national using old Beta cameras that have not been produced in a decade.

ash =o)

Nick Dennerstahl November 29th, 2006 04:38 PM

Nice to hear! I picked up my XL 2 last week.