Shooting a LCD monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 27th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Shooting a LCD monitor

I'm doing a computer tutorial I'll be posting on the web... Any suggestions on how to set the camera up to optimize shooting a LCD monitor in my office?

Thanks in advance.
Tim
Old November 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Is there a good reason to actually film the screen? There are many free or relatively cheap solutions for capturing whats on your screen into an AVI right on the computer. If your doing some sort of demonstration for the computer, hooking a mic up to the computer and recording the screen directly is the way to go.

-Kyle
Old December 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Screen capture is the answer

Just like Kyle said, using software to record a screen capture from within your OS is usually the best and easiest option. Alternitavely, you could do a line out feed directly to your camera if your video card has a s-video or composite out, and do a line in record on the XL2. If you still want to do a capture of the physical screen, you can. If its a CRT, you will need to match the refresh rate of the monitor by using Tv (shutter priority) mode, or using "clearscan mode". If it is an LCD monitor, you will just have to worry about getting a proper exposure, the refresh rate is not an issue.

All three ways work, but doing a software screen capture is still the fastest and easiest way IMHO.

Ryan
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I used ishow

I used ishow to capture the screen and it looks great but when I bring the file to Final Cut 6 it looks very bad, you can not read the text.

I caprure the video 720X480 and full screen.
I also captured native DV but it looks very bad.

Help!!!
Santos Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Major Player

If you do have your heart set on capturing via camera, I have done this once before and it turned out superb. I shot 16x9 considering I have a widescreen LCD monitor. I used the stock settings of the XL2, and made sure I had proper exposure. Make sure there is no glare on the monitor, and make sure to shoot the monitor as square on as you can manage.

I showed the end result to one of my film school peers, and he couldn't believe that I shot it with the XL2.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Ryan,

I did capture the video with the JVC GY-HD110U and it looks very bad,
when I bring it to final cut it look so blurry.
I am not sure if this is a problem with this camera.
last time I did something like this I use a sony camera and it worked well.
Now I am using ishow and I am havin the same problem.
I have the apple 23 in at home so I will test it later

regards,
Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
If you do have your heart set on capturing via camera, I have done this once before and it turned out superb. I shot 16x9 considering I have a widescreen LCD monitor. I used the stock settings of the XL2, and made sure I had proper exposure. Make sure there is no glare on the monitor, and make sure to shoot the monitor as square on as you can manage.

I showed the end result to one of my film school peers, and he couldn't believe that I shot it with the XL2.
Santos Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos Ramos View Post
I used ishow to capture the screen and it looks great but when I bring the file to Final Cut 6 it looks very bad, you can not read the text.
It's actually called iShowU, and it works great - worth the measly $20 they ask for it. Mac only.

http://www.shinywhitebox.com/home/home.html
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders