Extended Webmercial: New footage from XL-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 1st, 2006, 01:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Extended Webmercial: New footage from XL-2

Here is some footage from a webmercial of sorts. Let me know what you guys think. It's the fourth thing shot on the XL-2, and still coming in at under ten shoots overall for me, so please be honest, but kind. The goal was to build intensity as the piece progressed. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

http://babyquestions101.com/downloads/jean1small.mov
Ron Adair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ron,

Great job. I really enjoyed it. Just a few suggestions (just my $.02 and others might disagree). Really nice use of the dolly. Made it very smooth. Only part I would change would be the first time when you follow the guy down the row of washers. Just after you start to dolly, you cut to the static shot and then back to the dolly. I'd stick with the dolly shot until he gets to his washer. I also like the fact you are playing with editing as a time compressor...it's a sign of a creative editor. I do feel that there were too many in the laundry room scene. It made the scene a bit too long. If it gets used too much, it looses its functionality and "magic". You don't have to use it each time he gets up or is folding the jeans, going back to the dryer, etc. Just have him go out of frame in one shot, and into frame in the next. That's a great time compressor as well. If you already know about that, sorry...I am just throwing it out there.

Other than that, the feel (lighting, acting, compositions, music choice...especially the chase...,etc) were great.

Keep up the good work.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice footage!

Wow... really nice footage! I love the quality of the XL2, and it never ceases to amaze me with its great power to shoot awesome video!

Great job on the video, but, I have to ask:

Why did you load your video on babyquestions101.com? I checked it out, and it was in fact a baby website... kinda confused me... lol
Colin Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 08:38 PM   #4
New Boot

http://www.babyquestions101.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Worley
Why did you load your video on babyquestions101.com? I checked it out, and it was in fact a baby website... kinda confused me... lol
Ha. I figured people would be confused. That site is one of my sites that was just moved over to dreamhost, and it is about 3x faster (or maybe more) than godaddy, where my other videos are being housed. I knew it would look funny to other people, but I figured, "Hey, faster is faster, right?"

I'm making an ignorant assumption here that most dvi users are males, and therefore I will put in a shameless plug and say to all who fit that profile to send your wives, sisters and mothers to the site http://www.babyquestions101.com. They'll love it, and won't complain quite so much when you spend a few hours on dvinfo.net, because they'll now have something to keep them from noticing. ;)
Old December 3rd, 2006, 06:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Very cool video, loved the look. Mind if I ask what camera settings you used? Any special lights, what tripod lol, etc. I assume you pressed the blacks, color matrix on cine and gamma also, kept the image nuetral then added that blueish tint and feel in post. Great video loved it. :)

-Kyle
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #6
Major Player

I really liked it. But IMO, the interior seemed a little too dark and too greenish. I like the look, just thought it was TOO darkish/greenish. It did not look very natural. Looked more like a scene out of SAW. The whole thing seemed to be too long and dragged on. I also felt there was a lot of strange cuts in it.

I would lighten it up a bit, take some of the fat out and those strange cuts.

Also, the idea is rippoff the Levi commercials. Nothing against that. You have to practice whatever way you can, and I TOTALLY understand that. I'd just rather see an original idea, even if it's bad. But this is obviously just practice, so no big deal on that.

I know my comments seem like I'm complaining about everything. I'm not. I really did like it. It just needs some minor editing I think.

But yes, overall.....great work. Good job, keep it up.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray
Also, the idea is rippoff the Levi commercials. Nothing against that. You have to practice whatever way you can, and I TOTALLY understand that. I'd just rather see an original idea, even if it's bad. But this is obviously just practice, so no big deal on that.
Adam,

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to everyone else as well. As for the Levis ripoff thing, it's funny you mention...I don't have cable tv, nor have I seen any Levi's commercial in the last 4+years, except one: I remember seeing the commercial where a guy is recreating his favorite pair of jeans for his girlfriend, (if I recall correctly, he is leaving on a bus or train, and it's his going away "I love you" gift, leaving her thinking he's given up his most beloved possession to her, thus proclaiming his undying love for her).

I haven't seen another one of the recent Levi's commercials, but I have now produced two short "tests" that have earned that notice...can you tell me which one it reminds you of, or where I might be able to find some of them? I would love to see what I am "emulating". Makes me laugh whenever someone says these are ripoffs. I don't blame people for thinking it, but I assure you, this is totally and unequivocally original content, albeit a few weeks/months/years too late. :)

As for your other comments/suggestions, I think I can say I agree with most everything you are suggesting. I am still working on color with the XL-2, so I can see how I could improve on that. The length is a problem, and with this being the first and final cut, should be instead a close draft. However, I'm not so sure I'm aware of what you mean by the "strange cuts". Can you elaborate so I have a better idea of what you are thinking? Thanks for taking the time to teach someone so new at all this.
Old December 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Adair
Adam,

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to everyone else as well. As for the Levis ripoff thing, it's funny you mention...I don't have cable tv, nor have I seen any Levi's commercial in the last 4+years, except one: I remember seeing the commercial where a guy is recreating his favorite pair of jeans for his girlfriend, (if I recall correctly, he is leaving on a bus or train, and it's his going away "I love you" gift, leaving her thinking he's given up his most beloved possession to her, thus proclaiming his undying love for her).

I haven't seen another one of the recent Levi's commercials, but I have now produced two short "tests" that have earned that notice...can you tell me which one it reminds you of, or where I might be able to find some of them? I would love to see what I am "emulating". Makes me laugh whenever someone says these are ripoffs. I don't blame people for thinking it, but I assure you, this is totally and unequivocally original content, albeit a few weeks/months/years too late. :)

As for your other comments/suggestions, I think I can say I agree with most everything you are suggesting. I am still working on color with the XL-2, so I can see how I could improve on that. The length is a problem, and with this being the first and final cut, should be instead a close draft. However, I'm not so sure I'm aware of what you mean by the "strange cuts". Can you elaborate so I have a better idea of what you are thinking? Thanks for taking the time to teach someone so new at all this.

I guess "rippoff" was not the right word. "Emulating" like you said, would be a better word.

But here's one that I found that's similar. Theirs has to be compressed into a 30 second commercial, but the story is similar. Some guy steals someone's favorite pair of jeans, the guy gets chased down and the the pants are pulled off of him while he's on the ground. Your guy even "flaps" the jeans when he pulls them off the thief, just like the guy in the Levi commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6flRcuWjSo

The "strange" cuts I'm talking about start when he's folding the pants, and when he's looking out the window waiting for the clothes there's two more. There's also 3 of them twords the start of the chase where he's in the open area of the parking lot. I guess these are supposed to be "time lapse" as mentioned. I like all the angles and such. The quick "time lapse" cuts just seem to mess up some the nice smooth flow and good angles to me. There's some more when the thief is putting on the jeans (but those seem to fit better with that scene).

Instead of the "time lapse" cuts, I'd drop in some cutaway shots to lapse time. That's just me though.

I only have one question. Why does he throw dry clothes in a dryer, take them out and put them in another dryer? He dries clothes twice that were already dry, but never washes them when there's like 10 washers right behind him?. Am I missing something?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders