Some More Questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Cool, I think I'm gonna do that. The Oktava sounds like a pretty good deal. Do you think it would be worth it to get the kit with the HyperCardoid, Cardoid and Omni Capsules, or just the HyperCardoid. I will be shooting mostly outdoors, but some of everything.

Thanks,
Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #17
Major Player

Deep Pockets?

Hi Brandon,

Well, if you don't have a good boom guy or end up "DIY", perhaps the omni or cardoid would help in some situations (capture several subjects, ambient noise, etc). But when you want to isolate a single subject's voice, you'll enjoy the benefits of the hypercardoid. So if you've got the $$$, by all means get all the goodies. Personally, I began with nice lavaliers and *then* got the boom mic. Just remember you must *fight* for EVERY inch of space to get the boom mic close to the talent (hopefully under 24 inches). So if you're framing a medium shot where you can't get the boom up close, you'll really need to go with a lavalier. So you still don't want to completely shoot your budget, you might want to consider the basic boom package and get an affordable lavalier transceiver - something to consider. Hey, maybe I get back into $ales and Marketing! <wink>

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

As far as Wireless Lav's go, I was looking at the Countryman B3 (Looks like for the the price, the only thing better about the B6 is the smaller size) and the ATPro88w. I know it isn't the best, but it is the only transmitter/reciever I have found for under 400 (Sennheiser G2 - $399 on ebay). Are there any other options?

Thanks,
Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #19
Major Player

ATPro88w

Hi Brandon,

I don't have any experiences with the ATPro88w but I suspect with it's limited range (according to others), it might have interference problems unless your operating at a close range. With a better unit, you'll have lots of frequencies that autoscan can locate a good frequency, pilot tones, improved power transmission, etc. With line-of-sight, my Senn G2s worked fine at 150 yards and even 300 yards (except on 500+Mhz w/o diversity receiver). Perhaps until you can afford a better transceiver you might get an XLR adapter to the Countryman and settle for direct wiring until you can afford a unit that you'll enjoy for some time. And keep your eyes open on ebay and forums for the gear that you can get within your budget...

Enjoy, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders