Slow Motion - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 16th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Cerminara View Post
"A film is the final product not the material. Celluloid and digital (hard drive or tape) are both materials we used to make film."
!
I thought that film was made from celluloid, comes in reels, and is the traditional medium used for making motion pictures or movies. But maybe I'm just being pedantic too? :)
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #32
New Boot

Seriously?

Mr. Hunter? You´re a Major Player on DVinfo.net, DIGITAL VIDEO, and you´re gonna poo-poo the acceptance of digital video as a viable filmmaking medium?

Pedantic? Slightly.

Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgments of one another. — Desiderius Erasmus (1469-1536)
Donovan Cerminara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #33
Trustee

Hi Donovan. Sorry, you misunderstand my point. Film is used to make movies, so is video. To say that the end result *must* be called a film, to the point where people start *correcting* others' terminology, is what I disagree with. But I agree it's pedantic. :)

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jackson View Post
oh... the other point... my older footage is in 30p, so I've been shooting in 30p with my XL2... if I use a shutter speed of 1/300 for billfish jumps, will that have the same effect as shooting in 60i? meaning capture more of the subject? or what benefit does shooting at a really high shutter speed have... it seems to make bites, and things that happen fast a bit clearer... is this correct?
Higher shutter speeds reduce motion blur in the individual frame...so when you slow it down, you have a clearer image. No, 30p will not yield the same result as 60i, you need 60i so you can deinterlace each field set and give 60p which you can slow down to 30p and get a 50% slowdown...if you are delivering in 24p you can slow down another 10%. 30p doesn't help you at all.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Hey All. I've been away on a LONG spring break for a while. Nice to see that people are still chatting in this thread. I have a question about my own technique regarding color timing. If this technique is used what is the color timing of the final 60p sequence? I’d imagine that 2 frame back to back would each store half of the color information then 6 frames wouldn’t have any color information. My reason for asking is that I am going to be filming/recording/taping (whatever you wanna call it) a movie this summer all on green screen. Now I know DV isn’t the best for green screen but I imagine this process would make it worse. Can anyone help me out and suggest a method to make it better.

Also, there was a tutorial I once saw about creating an automated mask that follows a keyed area, so you only have to essentially deal with the spill and a little bit of green around the subject. Does anyone know what tutorial I’m talking about.

I’m sure this question is in the wrong place but… lol its three seemingly unrelated question that do actually relate, so idk where to ask.
Alan James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders