DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   2 Issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/82621-2-issues.html)

Brandon Katcher December 27th, 2006 08:53 PM

2 Issues

I have had two issues with my new XL2 that I have not been able to find any info on. Any help would be appreciated.

1) I was shooting one day at the top of a mountain. The EVF, every 30 seconds or so, would stutter with horizontal scan lines, like what you may get with a cable not plugged in all the way. The lines did not turn up on the footage, but what I did get was a quick buzz/beep at around the same interval. Temp that day was low 40s F. It has only happened once, and I have been unable to recreate it.

2) I did some shooting yesterday, and the tape motor/heads were making some loud buzzing/whining that would fade in and out. It was definately loud enough to hear across the room. (completely different from the other noise) I have not yet used a head cleaner on the camera. I should probably do that first.

I will try to upload some footage soon. Other then these issues, I love the camera, and the images have literally floored me.

Thanks for the help,
Brandon

Mike Teutsch December 28th, 2006 07:03 AM

That is not normal noise. Does it do the same thing when warm? A cleaning tape will do no good with the noise, I would take it or send it for service. Is it still under warranty?

Mike

Brandon Katcher December 28th, 2006 11:04 AM

Yeah, I just got it a month ago.
Brandon

Brandon Katcher December 28th, 2006 05:19 PM

So I just got off the phone with the canon service center. They are sending me a box to send my camera in.

The first issue I was having, the rep told me that it sounded like radio interference, which actually makes sense, because I was shooting up at the top of a mountain that happens to have quite a bit of radio equipment.

She also said turnaround time was 3-5 days, which was pleasantly surprising.

Hopefully they will be able to fix something.

Adam Bray December 29th, 2006 12:13 AM

The service center will send you a box to ship in? Sweet. Do you have to ship the whole camera with lens, or just the body with the EVF?

Grant Sherman December 29th, 2006 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Katcher
The first issue I was having, the rep told me that it sounded like radio interference, which actually makes sense, because I was shooting up at the top of a mountain that happens to have quite a bit of radio equipment.

I've had the same problem 3 or 4 times when shooting on a helicopter flight. It hasn't affected the footage so I've ignored it.

Brandon Katcher December 29th, 2006 01:55 PM

Yeah, they are sending a box, although I will have to pay for shipping there. I was pretty surprised when they said 3-5 days, I was thinking it was going to be a month or more.

I am sending the whole camera, I am going to have them give it a full checking. I am going to be spending a month in Nepal with the camera, I need it to be working absolutely perfectly.

Grant, did you use audio from the helicopter flights? I was definately hearing a loud buzz every 30 seconds or so on my tapes.

Brandon

Grant Sherman December 29th, 2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Katcher
Grant, did you use audio from the helicopter flights? I was definately hearing a loud buzz every 30 seconds or so on my tapes.

I don't think so. It's difficult to tell over the helicopter noise!