DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   canon lens for xl2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/82883-canon-lens-xl2.html)

Ashok Mansur January 1st, 2007 09:35 AM

canon lens for xl2

Hallo friends,
I am new to this forum, have xl2 keen on bird video. My question, is canon bringing out 200~400 f4, a constant aperture lens, like Nikon.
In my country ie India, we don't get Canon accessories. can U people advice me how to get EF adopter.
one more thing which is better XL 1.6 TC to EF
Thank you
Ashok

Per Johan Naesje January 3rd, 2007 03:55 AM

Hello Ashok, welcome aboard!
I'm not aware of any Canon 200-400mm, but Canon has a EF 100-400mm f/4,5-5,6 IS USM, which several people at the forum are using with the XL-series camcorders.
I'm using most prime lenses (300mm 2.8 and 500mm 4.0). I found that high class prime lenses gives a bit sharper picture, but for filming bird especially in motion a zoom lense will suit better to follow and frame the bird. You should search this forum, there are several thread about this subject.

If I had to choose I would definitively go for an ef-lense compared to the XL 1.6 extender. The 1.6 extender soften the picture in my opinion and you got much longer focal length with those ef-lenses named above.

Regarding the ef-adapter you could search some of the DVi sponsors site. Look at the advertisement on top of this site. B&H photo video sell them for a reasonable price.

Ashok Mansur January 3rd, 2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Johan
Hello Ashok, welcome aboard!
I'm not aware of any Canon 200-400mm, but Canon has a EF 100-400mm f/4,5-5,6 IS USM, which several people at the forum are using with the XL-series camcorders.
I'm using most prime lenses (300mm 2.8 and 500mm 4.0). I found that high class prime lenses gives a bit sharper picture, but for filming bird especially in motion a zoom lense will suit better to follow and frame the bird. You should search this forum, there are several thread about this subject.

If I had to choose I would definitively go for an ef-lense compared to the XL 1.6 extender. The 1.6 extender soften the picture in my opinion and you got much longer focal length with those ef-lenses named above.

Regarding the ef-adapter you could search some of the DVi sponsors site. Look at the advertisement on top of this site. B&H photo video sell them for a reasonable price.

Hallo Per, Thanks for your kind invitation,
I know Canon does't have 200~400mm, since Nikon brought that, I thought Canon will definatly bring a better zoom. asked U people just to know the Canon pulse.
Regarding 100~400mm it's pull & push zoom, By which the moisture gets in & fungus formation may occur.
I just registered with B&H, But the problem is I stay in India.
Now I am concentrating on winter migratory birds specially Bar Headed Geese. with my 20X it's difficult to stalk, Trying it out with hide. Will send the clippings for U'r advice.

Per Johan Naesje January 3rd, 2007 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashok Mansur
Now I am concentrating on winter migratory birds specially Bar Headed Geese. with my 20X it's difficult to stalk, Trying it out with hide. Will send the clippings for U'r advice.

Ashok, looking forward to view your clips. The bar-headed goose has been observed at the Sanctuary Østensjøvannet in Oslo Norway. I have not seen it personally.
You may take a look in the gallery at my website for some birds which are common in Norway. To get close-up I have used a Sigma 300mm 2.8 lense with Canon XL2.

Rainer Hoffmann January 4th, 2007 12:59 AM

Ashok,

of course I don't know, what lenses Canon will produce in the future, but at the time beeing the 100-400 mm is not a bad choice. Beeing a push/pull type zoom, it is a bit awkward to use, but I've never had any issues with moisture or fungus so far.

However, if you are worried about a push/pull zoom there is always the magnificent 70-200 mm f2.8 L IS USM. The quality of this lens is amazing and you could use it with the 1.4x or even the 2.0x converter (I'm aware that some people will disagree with this, but my personal experience with this lens plus converter is very good indeed). Unfortunately, this lens is somewhat expensive.

Dale Guthormsen January 5th, 2007 11:25 PM

Ashok,

Per johan's advice is solid to be certain.

I have the 1.6 extender and it is fine, but when you reach out as far as possible things become softer!!

I could go back and see if i can find some goose footage i shot with the standard 20x and the 1.6 attached.

If you have the funds go with the ef and an L series canon lens.

Prime lenses are always better if you get top quality lenses. I prefer a zoom for framing purposes. I shoot 90% birds and I find them alot easier to find the bird and then zoom in, particularly when on the wing.

Remember, you will definitely need a support system like a Ron's Rail.

It is kind of like horse advice, Buy the horse trailer first, then the horse!!

Ashok Mansur January 8th, 2007 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Hoffmann
Ashok,

of course I don't know, what lenses Canon will produce in the future, but at the time being the 100-400 mm is not a bad choice. Being a push/pull type zoom, it is a bit awkward to use, but I've never had any issues with moisture or fungus so far.

However, if you are worried about a push/pull zoom there is always the magnificent 70-200 mm f2.8 L IS USM. The quality of this lens is amazing and you could use it with the 1.4x or even the 2.0x converter (I'm aware that some people will disagree with this, but my personal experience with this lens plus converter is very good indeed). Unfortunately, this lens is somewhat expensive.

Rainer & Dale, Thanks for Your kind suggestions, Now I have to decide which is a better one. 70~200 f /2.8L IS & 100~400 f/4.5-5.6L IS . Can U people help me in this regard.
Kindly consider the facts like: Light, with 1.4X, 2X TC, Sharpness & Saturation.- Ashok Mansur

Rainer Hoffmann January 8th, 2007 06:55 AM

Ashok, the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L USM is definitely better than the 100-400mm in every respect except focal range. However, when you use the 2x extender with the 70-200mm it appears a little less sharp at the long end than the 100-400mm. Used with the 1.4x extender it is still very very good indeed.

Personally I prefer the 70-200mm, even with the extender, over the 100-400mm. But that's just me and I'm sure, others will disagree.

In the end, both lenses are a good choice (though the 70-200 mm comes with a hefty price tag) and it's up to your personal preferences, which one you'll buy.

Ashok Mansur January 8th, 2007 08:13 AM

Rainer, Thank U, I just tell U my experience. Yesterday I was trying to take a video of Common Snipe from a distance of 50 feet. I could only fill the frame by 1/16th with 20X zoom. Is it possible to take at least 1/4 frame with 70~200 or 100~400.
One more thing, earliier in still I use extension tube to fill the frame. like 200mm + smaller extension tube at 5 feet the Sun Bird (similar to Humming Bird ) can be filled 3/4 in the frame. is it possible with XL2.
Regards, Ashok Mansur

Rainer Hoffmann January 8th, 2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Rainer, Thank U, I just tell U my experience. Yesterday I was trying to take a video of Common Snipe from a distance of 50 feet. I could only fill the frame by 1/16th with 20X zoom. Is it possible to take at least 1/4 frame with 70~200 or 100~400.

At 400mm you have more than 4 times the magnification of the stock lens, so 4 x 1/16 = 1/4. The answer therefor is "yes".

Quote:

One more thing, earliier in still I use extension tube to fill the frame. like 200mm + smaller extension tube at 5 feet the Sun Bird (similar to Humming Bird ) can be filled 3/4 in the frame. is it possible with XL2.
Regards, Ashok Mansur

I haven't tried an extension tube, but I don't see any reason, why it should not work. After all, the optical principles remain the same as in still photography.

Edit: But keep in mind, that a 400mm lens mounted to the XL2 gives you the magnification of approximately a 2800mm (!) lens on a conventional still camera. So possibly there is no need to get any closer to your subject, because the magnification is already very high indeed. This also means, you'll need the sturdiest tripod and best tripod head you can afford to avoid shaky footage.

Edit 2: Do you want to use an extension tube with the 20x stock lens of the XL2? I'm not aware of an extension tube that would fit the XL2 lens mount. But may be I'm wrong.

Ashok Mansur January 8th, 2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainer Hoffmann
At 400mm you have more than 4 times the magnification of the stock lens, so 4 x 1/16 = 1/4. The answer therefor is "yes".

I haven't tried an extension tube, but I don't see any reason, why it should not work. After all, the optical principles remain the same as in still photography.

Edit: But keep in mind, that a 400mm lens mounted to the XL2 gives you the magnification of approximately a 2800mm (!) lens on a conventional still camera. So possibly there is no need to get any closer to your subject, because the magnification is already very high indeed. This also means, you'll need the sturdiest tripod and best tripod head you can afford to avoid shaky footage.

Edit 2: Do you want to use an extension tube with the 20x stock lens of the XL2? I'm not aware of an extension tube that would fit the XL2 lens mount. But may be I'm wrong.

Thanks Rainer, wonderful info, but the problem remains. i.e. WHICH LENS I should go for? Shall I wait for Canon constant aperature 200~400 (which is a illusion). the 100~400 is f4.5-5.6, in thatway 70~200 f2.8 +2X TC =140~400 f5.6. will be giving equal to Nikon 200~400 f5.6. Is my calculation correct. if so then 70~200mm is better option.
In India 70~200 f2.8L IS costs Rs 83,000/-( $1-Rs48 aprox)

Tony Davies-Patrick January 8th, 2007 09:52 AM

If you like the constant-aperture Nikon Nikkor 200-400mm f/4, then why not simply buy one and use it? All Nikkor lenses work great on the XL cameras and I wouldn't be without mine.

The latest Nikon Nikkor AF 200-400mm f/4 ED-IF is superb, but you can't use SLR lenses in AF mode on the XL body, so the equally superb MF Nikkor 200-400mm F/4 ED-IF will provide similar very high quality results.

Another thing that you must remember is that all the latest AF G Nikkors have no aperture ring on the lens barrel, so cannot be used properly on the XL bodies - that is why it is wise to invest in the MF lenses or AF lineup that still retain the aperture ring for full control of exposure. This also applies to the EOS line-up, and is why many XL1/XL2/H1 owners prefer the Canon MF FD lenses that still retains the aperture ring.

Rainer Hoffmann January 8th, 2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
Another thing that you must remember is that all the latest AF G Nikkors have no aperture ring on the lens barrel, so cannot be used properly on the XL bodies - that is why it is wise to invest in the MF lenses or AF lineup that still retain the aperture ring for full control of exposure. This also applies to the EOS line-up, and is why many XL1/XL2/H1 owners prefer the Canon MF FD lenses that still retains the aperture ring.

That's a ver good point, Tony. It's a pity that the aperture rings are no longer present on the latest lenses. I still feel, that my left hand (I'm right handed) belongs on the aperture ring. Alas, I guess, it's called "progress".

Ashok, Tony is right. Think about the Nikkor lens. That is, if you don't have a Canon (D)SLR already and want to use the lens on that camera as well.

Ashok Mansur January 10th, 2007 04:17 AM

Thanks, But which adapter I should use?

Ashok Mansur January 12th, 2007 09:46 AM

Tony, U did't specified which adapter I should use for Nikor lens.