17-40mm lens question (adapter) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
New Boot

17-40mm lens question (adapter)

I am thinking of buying an adapter mainly to gain wider angles. If I use my 17-40 Lusm lens how would this affect the focal distances, would it still be a pretty good wide angle lens?

sorry if this is a daft question, I am very new to all this.

TIA
Reas Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Look up the documentation for the adapter. Using to go wide is not possible. Even the very widest Canon EF lenses won't go as wide as the wide end of a 20X. This is because the XL2's sensor is WAY smaller than a 35mm sensor. I think the focal length multiplier is something like 9X. You're better off investing in the Canon 3X wide angle (about $800 or so used) or a wide adapter (cost varies with quality).

I think the EF adapter is more useful to go long than go short.
Old January 19th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #3
Trustee

Reas, to get approx that wide (equiv of your 17-40mm SLR lens), I use the XL 3X zoom lens (for approx 24mm wide) then add a Red Eye .7X FX HD adapter to change it to ultra-wide.
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #4
New Boot

thanx for the replies, I dont think I need a powerful zoom at the mo so I might wait until I can afford the xl's wide angle :)

Thanx again
Reas Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Reas,

Adding adapters for wide angle or multiplexing the lenses are never, never better than a proper lens. It would be smart to wait for the 3x wide if you do not need it right now.
I can also appreciate the difficulty of rounding up the cash for some of the lenses!!! I had a whole bag of lenses stollen in europe and I have never fully replaced them!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders