Advice for Filming Outdoor Running Events in Hawaii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Tourist

Advice for Filming Outdoor Running Events in Hawaii

I am filming an endurance running race in Hawaii in 2 weeks and various interviews etc. to go along with the event (the majority of which will be filmed in bright outdoor light). Does anyone have any thoughts about whether this type of footage would be handled best with the GL2 or the XL2 (or perhaps the FX1). (While budget it a concern, it is not the driving factor). I am leaning toward the XL2 as I think this may serve me best for this project and future projects that I have in the works (including a screenplay), and I would like to avoid having to make another purchase if I go with the GL2 at this point. Due to the timing of the event, however, I am a bit concerned about the learning curve for the XL2 and my ability to learn what I need to within such a short time frame. With this in mind,

Does anyone have any advice about the type of camera (including any other that I have not mentioned here) that would work well for a documentary-type endurance running film?

If the XL2, can anyone recommend presets for bright light/outdoor sports event?

What about audio for these options?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have.

Bill Flanagan
William Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Welcome to the forums, Bill.

Couple of questions to help us help you (assuming you are deciding exclusively between the GL2 and the XL2:

1. How are you planning on shooting the event? Are you driving along participants, or are you running with them? That might dictate if you want a GL2, since the XL2 is shoulder-mounted. Is it just you or do you have others who will be handling the audio, driving, carrying equipment, etc.

2. Who is the audience? Are they going to need HD? If so, it ain't coming from the GL2 or the XL2. If you are sticking with Canon, go for the X1 or H1, or the Panasonic HVX200.

As far as the learning curve, you have plenty of time to play around with it (and the presets found on this site). Might take a couple of days of playing around to feel comfortable with it, and you'll probably figure out what you need to change when you get there.

Congrats on the gig, and hope it works out.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Tourist

Decided to go with a Sony PD 170

To allow time for shipping I had to make a choice. I was not quite ready to move to HD. I felt that with my level of experience I would go with the sony PD 170 (although this choice will limit me to 4:3 and I will not be able to have the other options of 24p like the XL2. I plan to shoot a few projects with this camera. I will See how it goes. I got a B&H kit with Anton Bauer bat. and on Camera light. Manfroto tripod with liquid head and Shoot gun boom pole and extra xlr cable for sound wind sock and Rain cover . Will post another topic to ask PD 170 users about potential options.

Thanks again for your reply!!!
William Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Congrats on your purchase. The PD-170 is a nice little camera. It should suit your needs well. Good thing about the 170 is that it has XLR inputs...which many of its competitors do not. I've used them and I was pleased. Good luck with the shoot.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders