Canon Factory Service Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CANON service return times?

Im gonna have to send in a XL2 to have the lense mount repaired. Im wondering if anyone has a similar repair experience and could give a guestimation on how long Canon would hold the camera to do the repair. Im trying to time the send-in between shooting needs so Im hoping to get a better of idea of how long I will be out the camera.
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #2

Stefan, I've had Canon turn around my camera for repair (not the lens mount) in less than 10 days--three days there, three days back, a day or two for repair. That's from the day I sent it out to the day I got it back in my hands.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Trustee

I know it is not a severe repair but I sent in my EVF to be tightened as it just felt a little loose. Sent in on Monday overnight and had it back on Thursday fixed! I think they really bust hump for the XL2 guys.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #4
New Boot

I know that if you register your XL2 with the "Canon Club," they claim you have priority in the cue and your equipment will be returned no more than 5 days from when it is received. I got my XL1s back in three days but hopefully won't have to find out how well it works with my XL2.
Dave M.
Dave Merrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi,

you are very lucky over there on the other side of the big pond. I just had my 20D repaired. It took almost 6 weeks!!

Well, it's Canon Germany.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #6
New Boot

Rainer,
I too have a 20D. What was wrong with yours?
Dave M.
Dave Merrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Dave,

there was nothing wrong with it, it just fell from about half a meter onto the ground. After that neither the Tv, Av, M, or P modes did work, only the sports, macro, landscape and portrait modes (the idiot modes I call them) still worked. I think this was weird.

Apart from that I've had NO problems whatsoever with the 20D (I've got two, each with about 10000 frames on the counter).

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #8
New Boot

Best Customer Service Ever!

OK, to follow up my last thread, Canon has the best customer service I've ever dealt with! I shipped off my XL2 last Thurs to have 2 dead pixels masked and have a lens issue corrected. It was delivered to the service center in Jersey on Tues, repaired and shipped overnight the next day!! According to FedEx, it is on the truck for delivery by 3pm today.

Luckily, they appear to have been very understanding of my error in not signing up for the XL2 Users Club within 10 days of purchasing the unit. If anyone is reading this thread, debating on whether to go with a Canon or another brand cam, please know that Canon's service is top notch!

I'm off to write a new chapter of the Bible, speaking the praises of Canon...
Derek Elkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Major Player

What's the link to their club and is it necessary to join the club?
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #10
New Boot

It was a warranty card that came with the camera. I registered online and it was the checkbox at the very bottom...
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #11
New Boot

Canon Factory Service Question

I'm about to put my XL2 on the market, but first I need to get a newly discovered dead pixel taken care of and I figure a head cleaning would be nice for the buyer. I've got a Mack extended warranty, but I just got off the phone with them and was told to expect at least 20 business days for the repairs to be made. I'm still a member of the XL Series Owner's Club (and just 14 days out of factory warranty), so I called Canon to inquire about the price of their service since I know they are much quicker. Unfortunately, they are unable to give me any sort of estimate by phone. However, they did point out that all Mack does is send the camera to Canon once they have enough that need to go out for repair.

I'm in a bit of a bind and need to get this camera on the market as soon as I can, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience as to what the pricing would normally be to fix/mask a dead pixel and clean the heads? If Canon actually sends me the box for shipping and picks up all of the shipping charges, do you think it might be more advantageous than going with my warranty, fronting the money for shipping, and then waiting an extra 3 weeks for repair?

Also, how picky are most people about dead pixels? I've rented XL2's from guys around town and noticed they all have a few (and are completely unaware of it, although it drives me NUTS). Granted, the only time I can even see mine is when the gain is at +12 and the shutter and iris are open all of the way (you can't see it at something like +3, 1/60 or 1/48, and 2.6f). If I put the cam on eBay before having it fixed, I would definately disclose this problem, but how much of a hit do you think it would take on the market value?

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Derek
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #12
New Boot

Now that I've been reading other threads on the matter, is this even worth sending the camera in for service? I ran a test this morning with the lens cap on and I couldn't really get the pixel to even show up at +12db until I started opening the iris and slowing the shutter. Once I got the pixel to appear (it is a pulsing white pixel), it was a little easier to bring it out at a more normal setting (+6db, 1/30, 1.8f).

I noticed one of these when I first purchased the camera and was recording an extremely low-light wedding, and was able to ship it off to Canon for repairs with no problem at all. However, do you think Mack or Canon will just shoot it down since it's no longer a brand new camera?
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #13
Tourist

Fixing the XL2

I just had the same problem with my xl2. There were some hot pixels.
I brought it to canon, as I live in los angeles so they are not Too far.
It turns out that it was not the ccd's at all but the problem was with a PCB board. Canon changed out the PCB and cleaned up the camera, now it is better than new. They then shipped the camera back to me. The whole thing took 2 days from when I dropped off the camera to when it showed up at my door.
Cost was $252.00 usd total.
David Aretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #14
Major Player

XL2 "Tape Eject" Error!!! Is it DEAD?!

After reading about this dreaded error I am now a believer...

After shooting a feature and 7 short films on my XL2 it finally refuses tapes. When I place any tape (new or old) in the tape receiver it automatically ejects it, without spooling it (guide doesn't descend). When it press it in - it simply ejects it back out.

The manual says the error message "is to prevent tape damage."

Any suggestions? Or does this need to go to repair?

Thanks,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #15
Major Player

Where to send XL2 for service?

The heads need cleaning and the tape mechanics are damaged. It does not accept tapes or thread them. Does anyone have any ideas on a reputable service center in California?

Thanks!
-Chris
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders