Canon XL-2 headphone jack replacement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon XL-2 headphone jack replacement

Hello,

I just signed on, this is my first post to the site.

I've been using a XL-2 for a couple of years now, the last few months much more than ever. While working shoots where we have more than a few crew on staff I'm finding running headphones into the camera to be rather painful (ie. having lengthy extension cord so if I have to run the mic boom and wear headphones the cable is running across the ground, etc.).

Has anyone ever upgraded their XL-2 to a 1/4" jack for headphone usage? Or is there available an adapter or shoe device that will allow something other than the built-in 1/8" jack for headphone usage?

I've tried simply adapting from 1/8" to 1/4" but I'm finding that ANY amount of movement or tension on the 1/8" jack on the XL-2 makes me nervous and feels like it'll snap off.

Thanks!
Steven
Steven J. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2
New Boot

there are adapters out there but you still have the problem with the cord.
have you looked into wireless? there must be some ok quality wireless headphones out there, either RF or maybe bluetooth?
I am not sure if you would have any RF issues at all. If so isnt there a bluetooth adapter for the ipod? that may work!
Old March 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
New Boot

re: jack replacement

Thanks for the suggestion. Wireless systems are still a little beyond my budgeting, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

As for the cabling, it isn't so much the cabling itself but that using a 1/8" jack is just too frail. I'm hoping there is another way to get the headphone audio feed to headphones either from somewhere else on the camera or replacement of the 1/8" jack itself.

On the last shoot, when I used adapters to make a longer cable and change to 1/4" jacking those adapters never do a very good job. By the end of the shoot I had gaffer tape over both sections of jacking.

Steven
http://avant-guardian.net
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #4
Major Player

If I understand this correctly you want to have headphones when using a boom but do not want a long cord between you and the camera.

You need something like a Rolls PM50sOB - Personal Monitor Amplifier.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

This will allow you to monitor the sound from the boom without the extra cord coming from the camera.

A line goes from the mic to the Rolls unit and the from the unit to the camera and your headphones plug into the monitor.

Bill
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Bigger plug for Canon XL-2 headphone jack

Hi Stephen,

Perhaps you can try a 1/8 inch mini plug with a 90 degree elbow and a short connector. I'd tape or tie the cable to the XL-2 handle to keep stress off the elbow, looping the cable once around the tie (slack loop). Then you could use an adapter to go to 1/4 inch, XLR, etc.

Personally, I connect my 1/8 inch mini directly to earbuds (Sennheiser CX300 - love 'em). If I needed to wander much, I'd connect my wireless transmitter to the headphone jack and plug-in my earbuds to my portable receiver.

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #6
New Boot

re: wireless

Thanks for the tip, Michael. Which wireless system do you use?

Steven
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Sennheiser G2 Wireless

Rehi Steve,

I've been enjoying my Sennheiser G2 sytems (up to 4 now). On another forum, someone made a challenging post so in the "put up or ..." I accepted the contest and posted some test results at fairly long distances. If you're interested in the results of some informal tests, see:

http://www.bridgehands.com/audio

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders