Capturing 60i Footage Shot on XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 27th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing 60i Footage Shot on XL2

I have a Canon XL2 Standard Def camera and I did a shoot in 60i format, but when I attempt to digitize the footage via Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 I can't seem to locate a preset setting to accomodate 60i. Am I suppose to use a HD 60i setting to capture footage or what?

Some help with this would be great!!! I have a project coming up and I would like to shoot it in 60i if possible.
Stephen A. Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

60i is actually stored in a 30p source. "i" means half frames. so you have 60 half frames which make up 30 whole frames.

To answer your question just use normal NTSC preset. When you capture it, it will see it as 29.97, but just ignor that and keep going. When you export make sure its "lower field first". This is the default setting but just make sure.

Thats the short answer, but this is a highly talked about subject amongst new videographers. If you want the complex explanation you can either look it up on here or just tell me and I'll write up something quick.

Not to make you feel dumb but this question has been asked so much that we should have a copy and paste answer already written up. Someone probably does.

lol, have fun.
Alan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Capturing 60i in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

I sorry for asking the same question again, but I searched and searched, but I still couldn't find an answer to this question. Thanks for the info, but if you can find that info you referenced that would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Stephen
Canon XL2 16x Servo
Stephen A. Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The info is all over the place.

I'll explain this for SD but the idea applies to HD as well.

SD video is stored on mini DV at 29.97 fps and at a resolution of 720X480. There are two pixel aspect ratios. Either the image is stretched 1.2 times wider for widescreen or compressed 0.9 times for fullscreen.

If you shoot 30p it means every frame is a full frame made up of 480 lines. If you shoot 60i the source video is still at 30fps and has 480 lines but there are 60 frames within the footage. The frames are half frames and only have 240 lines making them up. At 24p essentially frames are duplicated and blended to conform with what is referred to as a 2:3 or a 2:3:3:2 pull down. This means there are 3 frames unique then the next 2 frames are the same. Look up pulldown in google and I'm sure u will find something.

The best way I have found for explaining this to people is to tell them to shoot in all three formates and look at them at 100% magnification in your NLE. Be sure to use a 30p sequence when you do this, even for 24p and u will see how it works.
Alan James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders