DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Dm-50 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/90955-dm-50-a.html)

Eric Dinehart April 7th, 2007 01:36 PM

Dm-50

cannot get DM-50 mic to work on XL2 no power from accessory shoe

Garrett Gibbons May 14th, 2007 01:38 PM

No power from GL1 with DM-50

I've had the same problem with my japanese GL1. Is there any way to test if this problem is the shoe or the mic itself?

Eric Dinehart May 16th, 2007 09:08 PM

garrett, i wish there was a way i will try to find out. i am shooting a wedding
in june i just wanted a cheaper shotgun mic. i returned it back to the store
thinking it was the mic.

Garrett Gibbons May 16th, 2007 09:35 PM

Rode Videomic

Eric, thanks for the reply. I am going to try to find another hotshoe accessory to plug in and see if it's my hotshoe, as well as trying out the mic on someone else's Canon, if I can find someone carrying one around.

Meanwhile, I've investigated the Rode Videomic. It looks like a much better product and they're going for around $150. It's worth looking at.

Cheers,
Garrett

Michael Graham May 17th, 2007 01:33 PM

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but, I was given a DM50 as a gift and thought it was faulty however, it only works in the accessory shoe when the audio is set to record 4 Channels/32kHz/12bit (think that's correct) and the 'normal' setting is 2 Channels/48kHz/16bits. Changed the audio setting via the menu on my XL2 and the mike then worked. Hope this helps. Mike.

Chris Hurd May 17th, 2007 02:26 PM

That's right... the only way you can use the DM-50 mic on an XL2 is on channels 3 & 4 and only when 4-channel audio recording is enabled in the menu.

Garrett Gibbons May 17th, 2007 06:08 PM

I've got what's called an XV1, which appears to be identical in design to the GL1. I read about the 12-bit step (though the DM-50's manual doesn't seem to mention it) but still no luck. Everything else on the camera works fine; I think either my hotshoe is bad or the Japanese XV1 won't support US GL/XL hotshoe accessories (or something like that).

Thanks for all of your posts!

Chris Hurd May 17th, 2007 07:10 PM

Garrett -- on the GL / XM / XV camcorders, you don't need to active 12-bit 4-channel audio recording to use the DM-50. Could be that there's a problem with the Advanced Accessory Shoe... can you test any other AAS accessory, such as a VL-3 video light?

Garrett Gibbons May 17th, 2007 08:18 PM

Small camera trends

I actually just got back from a fruitless tour of Costco, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc..., hoping to find either a Canon camera with the shoe or an accessory (like the video light), just so I could try both ends out with brand-new hardware and go from there. Nobody sells those things, here in suburbia! All of the cameras are smaller than my cellphone and don't have accessory shoes. I guess I'll just be waiting until I stumble across someone with a decent camera or a collection of lights and mics. Thanks for your help, guys. I appreciate it a lot!

Eric Dinehart May 18th, 2007 08:23 PM

Hi guys, I reorderd the DM-50 mic again. I will try it out and let you guys no if it works. thank you all for your help.
Eric,

Eric Dinehart May 23rd, 2007 08:51 PM

hi guys,
dm-50 mic works great now. it would help if you push the audio monitor botton a couple of times. as you can tell i am new with the xl2.

thanks again,