Dm-50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Tourist

Dm-50

cannot get DM-50 mic to work on XL2 no power from accessory shoe
Eric Dinehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
New Boot

No power from GL1 with DM-50

I've had the same problem with my japanese GL1. Is there any way to test if this problem is the shoe or the mic itself?
Garrett Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Tourist

garrett, i wish there was a way i will try to find out. i am shooting a wedding
in june i just wanted a cheaper shotgun mic. i returned it back to the store
thinking it was the mic.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #4
New Boot

Rode Videomic

Eric, thanks for the reply. I am going to try to find another hotshoe accessory to plug in and see if it's my hotshoe, as well as trying out the mic on someone else's Canon, if I can find someone carrying one around.

Meanwhile, I've investigated the Rode Videomic. It looks like a much better product and they're going for around $150. It's worth looking at.

Cheers,
Garrett
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
New Boot

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here but, I was given a DM50 as a gift and thought it was faulty however, it only works in the accessory shoe when the audio is set to record 4 Channels/32kHz/12bit (think that's correct) and the 'normal' setting is 2 Channels/48kHz/16bits. Changed the audio setting via the menu on my XL2 and the mike then worked. Hope this helps. Mike.
Michael Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

That's right... the only way you can use the DM-50 mic on an XL2 is on channels 3 & 4 and only when 4-channel audio recording is enabled in the menu.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #7
New Boot

I've got what's called an XV1, which appears to be identical in design to the GL1. I read about the 12-bit step (though the DM-50's manual doesn't seem to mention it) but still no luck. Everything else on the camera works fine; I think either my hotshoe is bad or the Japanese XV1 won't support US GL/XL hotshoe accessories (or something like that).

Thanks for all of your posts!
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Garrett -- on the GL / XM / XV camcorders, you don't need to active 12-bit 4-channel audio recording to use the DM-50. Could be that there's a problem with the Advanced Accessory Shoe... can you test any other AAS accessory, such as a VL-3 video light?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #9
New Boot

Small camera trends

I actually just got back from a fruitless tour of Costco, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc..., hoping to find either a Canon camera with the shoe or an accessory (like the video light), just so I could try both ends out with brand-new hardware and go from there. Nobody sells those things, here in suburbia! All of the cameras are smaller than my cellphone and don't have accessory shoes. I guess I'll just be waiting until I stumble across someone with a decent camera or a collection of lights and mics. Thanks for your help, guys. I appreciate it a lot!
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #10
Tourist

Hi guys, I reorderd the DM-50 mic again. I will try it out and let you guys no if it works. thank you all for your help.
Eric,
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #11
Tourist

hi guys,
dm-50 mic works great now. it would help if you push the audio monitor botton a couple of times. as you can tell i am new with the xl2.

thanks again,
Eric Dinehart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders