Porta Brace cases at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Porta Brace cases

I'm shopping for a new case and I'm looking at getting a Porta Brace CTC-C2. I noticed there is also a C3 and a C4 and I can't for the life of me tell what the difference is. The only thing I saw was that the dimensions of the C4 were smaller, but all the pocket configurations seem the same.

I was going to order the black version of the C2 off B&H since it's a little cheaper but there are no returns on it and I just want to make sure it will work well.
Matt Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Major Player

I've got the C3 and it works like a charm. Didn't know about the C2 or C4. If you want info on it, you can check out this thread.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
Major Player

anyone have any insight into the different case models?
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Matt - As near as I can tell, the CTC-2 (20 x 10 x 6.5") is slightly smaller than the CTC-3 (22 x 10.5 x 6.5") and the newer model CTC-4 (same dimensions, but with different pocket arrangement). Also, I noticed that the CTC-2 "bulge" (place where the viewfinder sits inside) tapers away toward the end, where the CTC-3 and 4 are the same thickness all the way along the length, and I'm not sure how that would work out.

They all look like good cases, with the CTC 2 & 3 at the same $290 (B&H) and the CTC-4 at $320, I would still choose the CTC-3, since that's what I have, and everything fits perfectly, with just enough pockets. However, I did notice that B&H have a used CTC-2 (condition +8) for $129.00, so if budget is a consideration, that looks like a good buy. If that appeals to you, you would need to rush, since their used stuff doesn't last very long on the shelf.

One small note. At the PortaBrace web site, the XL2 is listed on both the CTC-3 & 4 model pages, but on the CTC-2 model page, the XL1-S is listed. Maybe it's just an old web page, but I would call PortaBrace first.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Matt,

I have the ctc-3 and it is a good camera case and great for travel. However, In my opinion it has very little room to carry other pertenant equipment. I never put stuff loose in the camera compartment as I will lose items taking the camera out for sure. I guess the solution is carrying the second accessory case.
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Jack and Dale,

I guess as long as I can hold some tapes and spare batteries and maybe a charger in the external pockets that is fine with me. The case I'm using now is a hand me down portabrace, which has seen better days and doesn't fit my camera very well, so it was already destined to become the accessory case.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb View Post
Thanks Jack and Dale,

I guess as long as I can hold some tapes and spare batteries and maybe a charger in the external pockets that is fine with me.
Matt - it will hold all that and more. Mine holds the cam and stiff draw-string bag with a dozen or more tapes, warm cards, and the manual on the inside – three batteries, battery bracket, charger, lots of cables, and the remote in the outside pockets. I'm sure I could cram more in there too.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders