Problem of EF adapter - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #31
Regular Crew

do you need this ef adapter if you're using the panasonic wide angle lens converter ?
Scott Delish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Delish View Post
do you need this ef adapter if you're using the panasonic wide angle lens converter ?
Scott, I don't understand your question. You're talking about two completely different kinds of tools. A wide angle lens converter is one option for getting a wider field of view. The EF adapter, however, is an option for getting an extreme telephoto field of view. So there is no direct relation between these two pieces of equipment, since they work only on opposition to each other, at either end of focal length (wide vs. extreme telephoto).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Scott, I don't understand your question. You're talking about two completely different kinds of tools. A wide angle lens converter is one option for getting a wider field of view. The EF adapter, however, is an option for getting an extreme telephoto field of view. So there is no direct relation between these two pieces of equipment, since they work only on opposition to each other, at either end of focal length (wide vs. extreme telephoto).
I'm asking if the angle lens needs an adapter... I wasn't aware that the EF adapter was only for telephoto. Hence me asking the question.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #34
Trustee

Scott,
the ef-adapter will magnify any lens attached to it by 7.8x, so a 24mm will be a huge 187mm (in 16x9 wide mode) on the XL2!
In other words the ef-adapter is only suitable if you want extreme telephoto as for sport or wildlife filming

Also, read this exellent article by Chris Hurd about different kind of lenses:
http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; August 30th, 2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Provided new link
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Scott,
the ef-adapter will magnify any lens attached to it by 7.8x, so a 24mm will be a huge 187mm (in 16x9 wide mode) on the XL2!
In other words the ef-adapter is only suitable if you want extreme telephoto as for sport or wildlife filming

Also, read this exellent article by Chris Hurd about different kind of lenses:
http://dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article04.php
Well I'm un-educated in terms of using the MM not sure what MM is or even about, lol. So I ask a lot of questions.

Edit:

In terms of optical zoom how many x would the zoom be? 100x? Also how much would these lenses cost? :)
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #36
Trustee

Scott, please don't hijack this thread!
If you have any question about XL-2 lenses, you can start a new thread about this topic!
For prices, please look at DVInet sponsors:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Scott -- MM stands for millimeters, which is the unit of measure used to describe the focal length of a lens (technically, it's a measure of the distance from the rear nodal point of the lens to the focal plane). In very general terms, the lower that number is, the wider the field of view. The higher that number is, the more narrow (or telephoto) it is.

Zoom is simply the ratio of lens that has the capability to change focal length, from one end of its range to another. However you can't tell anything about the focal length of a lens just from its zoom ratio. For example, you can have a telephoto zoom lens that's 100mm to 400mm, which is a 3x zoom ratio, and you can have a wide zoom lens that's 15mm to 45mm which is also a 3x zoom ratio.

However at this point we've hijacked Ashok's thread. Let's please keep the discussions on topic. You can learn an awful lot here by simply searching for what you want to learn, and reading those threads.

edit: Oops, I wrote this while Per Johan posted above. We now return to Ashok's EF adapter issue.

Old August 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #38
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok Mansur View Post
Yesterday I found my EF is not working with 70~200 IS 2.8L.
Ashok, I have a dumb question for you. This 70~200 IS 2.8L lens, is a genuine Canon EOS lens, correct? And not a Tamron or Sigma copy?

Old August 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Hi Ashok.........

Hey, that's great news about the trip to Mumbai. Hopefully that light at the end of the tunnel is the exit and not an express train coming the other way.

A general Q to all, as I'm a bit out of my comfort zone on the subject - what Canon camcorders can this EF adapter be used with? The XL1/s and XL2 I'm up with (tho' have yet to trawl the XL2 forum, oh joy). I need to know so I can trawl the threads.

Ashok, I will get around to addressing the issue of the 100 - 400mm lens and why I don't think you'll ever see one with an X series mount, but it's going to have to wait whilst I shift this enormous pile of stuff that's built up on my desk over the last week or so.

Catch you as and when.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Oh.........

Have trawled XL2 Forum from one extreme to the other - nope! Zero.

Seriously having my doubts this was on DVinfo, which brings me back to my Q of the other day - where could it have been?

With a bit of luck the Mumbai trip will render it irrelevant anyway.

Going away to see if I can get this frontal lobotomy reversed.

CS
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:42 AM   #41
Inner Circle

And a bit of geosocial background....

for those who wouldn't know India from their elbow.

Delhi - The political capital, probably equates (in USA terms) to Washington, DC

Bangalore - The "high tech" capital, their equivalent to "Silicon Valley", not that far from where Ashok lives.

Mumbai (Bombay) - The undisputed commercial capital of India, also combines the thriving (bigger than Hollywood) Indian film industry, so is probably a cross between New York and LA.

Thought that might be of some help in getting the picture. Why? Hey, why not?

CS

PS: Ashok, how far is it from where you are to Mumbai? Did that bus ride once and remember being practically crippled it took so long. Interested to know just how far it is.
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:16 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Well Chris es .......

This is plural as both of you have the same name, sorry joking. It's undisputedly a Canon EOS.
Thanks Scott, You'll love DVINFO forum it's like gold mine, dig further you'll have immense treasure. At last others are also contributing, Per Johan plz say something about XL 100-400mm.
Well Dharwad is 12hrs by road almost 600kms from Mumbai earlier Bombay, also called Bollywood because of a huge film industry imitating Hollywood & as Chris says it's commercial capital of India. I’ll try to give picture of Dharwad It's on Mumbai Bangalore high way, from my place west side Panaji Goa is 185kms. Dharwad is known for education & Pedha a milk sweet delicacy.
Again rains making life misery here. plz keep responding.
Ashok
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:35 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Ashok - when you mention the XL 100-400 I'm curious as to what you mean; is this some new lens I know nothing about, or do you refer to the EF 100-400, which works superbly on my XL2 via the EF adaptor??
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:24 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Wow...........

(and at lengths NOT to hijack this thread) Andrew, checked out your site, wow. Couldn't get past the opening screen but from what I saw you are pretty d**m good.

Shall be interesting to see how the dialogue goes with Ashok re the 100 - 400.

CS
Old August 31st, 2007, 03:28 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Hi Ashok.............

12 hours eh, no wonder I was a basket case after. Whatever, it will (hopefully) be worth it if this sorts the problem once and for all.

Keep us posted.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders