Problem of EF adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem of EF adapter

Yesterday I found my EF is not working with 70~200 IS 2.8L. While I was taking Oriental Pratincole, suddenly there's warning in the view finder "LENS not mounted properly" in red letter & the aperture is not functioning in M mode. I took out the lens after switching off the cam. & again mounted the lens, same warning appeared. I even tried my friends 600mm (a great lens one must have)the same story, but one thing I noticed the cranking sound continued. When switched on the battery indicator of EF adapter glowed. I tried with A Tv Av & M modes no changes. I can shoot the video in fixed aperture, only by changing shutter speed.& no display of lightmeter.
Can any body help me in this regard. I checked the voltage of the battery it's 6v on multimetre. No problem with 20X XL lens.
Ashok Mansur
One more thing how much the life of EF battery last long

Last edited by Ashok Mansur; May 1st, 2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: forget to include
Ashok Mansur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Ashok,

I don't have any experience with the EF Adaptor but anyway: did you try to clean the electrical contacts on the lens and the adaptor?

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hallo Rainer, I cleaned every contact points. Still same problem continues, Immediately after switching on " CHECK THE LENS " script displays in EVF. And continuous cranking sound comes in the lens.
Ashok Mansur
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Ashok, in that case change the battery. If it still doesn't work then, I'm afraid the adaptor has to go to the Canon service.

But may be someone else has a brilliant idea?

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ashok. Have you gotten it fixed and what was the remedy?
I'm looking into the EF Adapter as well. TIA.
Carl Hoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hallo Carl........

Negative as the Canon service people said the PCB is gone, they got the spare from Japan, but that was for latest EF adapter. And it couldn't replaced, they asked for extra time to get the proper spare part. But I said enough people,you took h... of time. As I bought brand new from B&H. it covered 1 year warranty. So I am sending it back to US.
Ashok
If anybody has a better idea, plz respond
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Warranty replacement via the dealer is definitely the best way to resolve this.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Ashok,
I had a similar problem once. The source was the contacts in the EF Adapter. For some reason, the weight of the battery wasn't sufficient to make good contact, and I had to shove a piece of plastic into the battery compartment to push the battery tighter onto the contacts. Worked fine after that. For what it's worth...

Steve Siegel
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:56 AM   #9
Regular Crew

There was no alternative left for me, so I already sent it. Steve my EF adapter was only 2 months old & tried all possible means, so I was not having any choice.
I have one question for you Chris, may be this is not proper topic in this catogory. Yet I dare to ask you, this is my wish to have 200~400mm f4 IS / may be upto 500mm from Canon. can you just pass on to Canon to make this lens? As the watchdog has influenced Canon, to improve XL 1.
Ashok
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Ashok, while it is true that the Watchdog has influenced Canon, that is a result of a lot of people joining together here and definitely not a result of just me alone.

A lens such as you describe would come from the Canon Photo division and unfortunately the Watchdog doesn't have any established communications with that part of Canon. There is however the EOS 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM lens which is an excellent choice for the XL series. The only drawback is that it cannot be used with either 1.6x or 2x EOS tele-extenders. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hallo Chris.....

I do agree, but your are the main person, who is the cause for that, at least you can pass on the message to their counter part. Well the problem with 100~400 is, doesn't have fixed aperture, more than that the zoom is pull push type. Which creats vacuum & attracts fungus, main problem in our area. As I live in the temperate zone.
Ashok
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Chris need your help...........

After facing problem from 1st EF adaptor I bought another EF adapter, which was working good for a month now that one is also giving the same problem.
like "CHECK LENS" & continuous humming sound comes within lens. I switch off the IS, set manual focus for my 70-200 2.8 IS. use 519/525 manfrotto, I put the new 6V battery. still no changes. don't know what to do,here in India Canon service is like novice because they don't know the cause of the problem. as for my 1st adapter these people told to pay Rs8000/ for the faulty PCB next moment they couldn't get the proper PCB asking for more time. when sent back to Canon US , they said no problem with EF adapter.
Is there any alternative for the problem like the contact links of the adapter like AF,IS, Diaphragm link to be insulated or something like that.

Please help me.

Ashok
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Ashok..............

Probably not the Chris you were expecting but hey, I'll give it a shot..........

That this has happened a second time makes me think there is a common factor at work (assuming it is exactly the same problem). I'm also going to assume this is not operator error or mis - handling (not at those prices). I am also going to assume from the weather reports I've seen from Asia that the weather has been more than a tad humid of late.

Now, I know this is going to sound loopy but humour me. Ashock, take the EF adaptor and lens off the camera, get an airtight sealable plastic box about twice the size of both units together and as much silical gel as you can stuff in with them. Make sure the silica gel has been "refreshed" in an oven beforehand.

Load 'em up, shut the box and leave somewhere nice and warm for a few days. Take em out, move anything and everything that can move (pump the lens etc) and stick back in the box with refreshed gel.

It could take a week or more to get the humidity out of that system but it's got to be worth a try. If this turns out to be the problem you may have to invest in a permanent "dry system box".

Here's hoping.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks CS........

You are always a guardian angel, I will do that & hope it works fine, let you know all.

Ashok
Old August 28th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Ashok (again)........

Have had a chat to the Canon Support manager here in NZ about the EF and learnt it ain't just a bit of plumbing to join two disparate bits of hardware together.

Seems there's actually a processor in that thing as well as some other pretty sophisticated electronics (much to my amazement - but hey, you learn something new every day).

Been pondering your situation and cannot come up with a scenario other than "humidity overload" (or, perhaps, winning the world lottery, same sort of odds) to explain what's happening.

Give the "silica gel" idea a decent go and keep in touch. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders