Looking at buying an XL2..accessory advice? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Looking at buying an XL2..accessory advice?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting an XL2 and some other gear and I was wondering if I could get some advice on the gear I've priced out on whether it is a sound item to get.

So here is the list so far:

-Canon XL2 Kit (Camera and Lens)
-Porta-Brace CTC-3 Traveler Camcorder Case
-Porta-Brace RS-XL2 M/DVRain Slicker Blue
-Canon FS-72U Filter Set
-Sennheiser ME66-K6 Kit & Windscreen*
-Digiflex 10' Mic Cable XLRf to XLRm
*(I'm waiting for feedback on the sound board for a shotgun Microphone currently).

I have a limited budget, and I had to include the video editing software (yay my own copy of Adobe Production Suite!) and a PC I'm going to build (Quad-core core2duo). I'm ordering all of the camera gear from Vistek.ca since I then won't have to worry about paying duties.

Thanks!
Troy Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #2
DVi Contributor

if you can swing a senn 416 shotgun, go for that one. forget the filter set. You will want 4x4 matte box and filters later on- good for grads- however you should get a 72 UV to protect the front element from damage. good luck
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Craig,

After discussing my mic situation with Ty Ford, I'm dropping the mic completely from this budget. I'm going to instead get all my video stuff up to snuff, so I'm looking now at getting the Cavision MB4169H-2 16:9 Hard Shade Kit for the XL2.

I'm a bit new to the whole filter thing, is it just like Gels on spot lights?
Troy Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM   #4
DVi Contributor

filters are not just about adding colors. Yes blue grads, and sunset grads will make sky shots pop. However the filters you will grab first are going to be ND filters, both grads and solids, as well as a good pola.
whatever the filter 4x4 and 4x5 matte box with 2 trays is going to provide you with a lot of options.

good luck
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Before you buy at vistek, you should check with henry's photo in toronto. also check with don's photo in Regina, Saskatchewan. Don's will order in almost anything and they are generally very competitive. Just a thought.

I checked vistek site out and they are definitely more expensive than you need to pay.
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #6
New Boot

Figured I'd post an update:

Gone with the XL2 from Don's Photo here in Brandon, Manitoba. Also getting the Canon filter set through them (I'll get better filters as time goes on).

Ordered the EDIROL R-09 from Vistek along with a ton of accessories (the table stand & case, the mic set and the carrying kit for the whole kit and caboodle. So now I have a more flexible audio option.)

I'll invest in a matte box before the end of the year, and I'm looking into a good Tri-pod very soon (since I've relied heavily on a tri-pod to this point, I'll want to get a good one to go with the XL2.) Going through Don's Photo for that (those guys rock! Love the service!) I'm also going to try and expand my shooting now to include shots from the shoulder (since I used to have a difficult time keep things stable with my tiny sony handycam).

I've only received the camera so far, but maaaan, is it nice. Now I just need to familiarize myself with it.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Fontaine View Post
Also getting the Canon filter set through them (I'll get better filters as time goes on).

I'll invest in a matte box before the end of the year, and I'm looking into a good Tri-pod very soon (since I've relied heavily on a tri-pod to this point, I'll want to get a good one to go with the XL2.)
Hey Troy - If you're set on a matte box (and why not), then why are you getting filters now? You will surely replace them in a few months with 4x4s for the Matte box, right?

Regarding the tripod, I couldn't recommend this combination more as the best bang for the buck. It's the Manfrotto 525MVB sticks with ground spreader, plus the 503 Pro head.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:00 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi Jack,

I wanted the Canon filter set to hold me out till I can get the money together for the matte box. All of the current gear (except the tri-pod) were being purchased for me as part of a contract agreement (I do work for them, they buy the gear I need to do the job). Plus it doesn't hurt to have them around in case something happens to the mattebox down the line and I need a fall-back solution.

I like to hedge my bets and be over-prepared where I can :)
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Barker View Post
Hey Troy - If you're set on a matte box (and why not), then why are you getting filters now? You will surely replace them in a few months with 4x4s for the Matte box, right?

Regarding the tripod, I couldn't recommend this combination more as the best bang for the buck. It's the Manfrotto 525MVB sticks with ground spreader, plus the 503 Pro head.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html
I myself have been looking to invest in a tripod recently, and was wondering, Jack, if I really need to pay such hefty amounts of cash to get a decent tripod?

$900!? What will I lose by downgrading from this?
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. Collins View Post
...Jack, if I really need to pay such hefty amounts of cash to get a decent tripod?
In a word, yes. The 525MVB/503 head combination is nothing more than the best of the low-end rigs. Note, low-end.

Tell you what, without me giving you a long spiel about the benefits of this, or the drawbacks of that, take your XL2 to your local camera store and try out the cheaper stick/head combinations. You wont have the complete range to play with, I shouldn't think, but probably enough to get the idea. The XL2 is heavy enough to need strong, rigid sticks, and a true fluid head for smooth panning.

I'm just an amateur. There are pros here that have spent thousands on their support systems.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders