60p and 8p in camera! Myth or Masterful hack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Closed Thread

Old May 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #1
New Boot

60p and 8p in camera! Myth or Masterful hack?

Mike Krumlauf is either a genius or a liar. I'm betting liar, but I'm hoping some of you xl2 vets can be better judges.

Do a search on google video for "xl2" and the majority of footage that shows up is from this amazingly talented 17yr old kid from naperville, ill.

One of mike's trademarks is his amazing over/under crank footage (note the videos on youtube: speed ramping test, krum on crack 1&2, monotone living, and ping pong). Now, i've read several tutorials on over/undercrank, including ones on the board. Everthing i've read indicates (for slomo anyway) that you shoot in 60i, de-interlace in AE or similiar, then import into a 24p timeline.

Krumlauf however, claims that he is able to shoot 60p on the xl2 (as well as 8p)!!! here is his explanation (from the comments section of his video "speed ramping test" on youtube): "the way i did it was by doing my little HACK which i will not release to the public so stop asking me! and from there i can ramp speeds using the shutter speed buttons, very cool hack i found! =] and its all mine muhahahaha[...] All i will tell you all is this Hack involves opening part of the camera and messing with its insides."

so what is your verdict, oh gods of the xl2? i soooo want to believe it's true, yet i keep reminding myself that when i was his age i would've made sh** like that up too, just to drive people nuts.

-Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Scruggs; May 11th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah if you just registered to post that, I wouldn't be surprised if you're Mike or one of his friends to get more views on his youtube videos.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Major Player

A-Men Scott..... A-Men! Instead of sharing information that other people gave him in the first place, he lies about it to try to keep a leg up on the competition when really he needs to actually get a leg up before he can keep it there. This kid, though he may know his editing systems fairly well, is no genius!
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Scruggs View Post
Mike Krumlauf is either a genius or a liar. I'm betting liar, but I'm hoping some of you xl2 vets can be better judges.
Your bet is safe, Jonathan: liar.
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
New Boot

hey guys, thanks for the reply...

no, i'm not mike, or any of his friends. and i only posted the link to youtube in order to get you guys to check out the videos in question to see if you could prove or disprove this so called "hack."

if it makes you feel better, i'll take down the direct link...but you'll just have to trust me that i'm not associated with him. i've been registered with these boards for almost two months now, but only got approved to post yesterday, but you are correct that one of the main reasons i registered was to post this question. i'm getting an xl2 within the next month or so and i'm just really interested in a no-fuss slo-mo solution. mike had me suckered into thinking that this hack was possible (especially since i know something similar is possible on the pany hvx). but after weeks of trying to track down info on the hack with no luck, i'm starting to doubt that it is real.

you guys were my last hope since this is about the best xl2 forum i've found. but now probably no one will take this seriously because they think it's a plug for his site.

-Jonathan
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Scruggs View Post
mike had me suckered into thinking that this hack was possible (especially since i know something similar is possible on the pany hvx)
The HVX200 is a much more expensive camera and has variable frame rate from the factory, but only when recording to certain media (I think). There are some tricks to get fake 60p from the XL2 or any 60i camera, but overall, the answer is a simple no.
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Jonathan, even though it would be nice to have a slow-mo option on the fly for the XL2, it is not possible. The fake 60P trick mentioned in this sight for slow-mo works VERY well and is extremely easy to do. The first time I tried it out, it took me a matter of a couple minutes.

When you get your XL2 I hope you enjoy it as much as I Love mine, as I'm sure you will. It is truly an awesome camera!
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #8
New Boot

thanks ryan.

i guess it just seemed complicated because i'm not familiar with adobe's editing suite. i'm an fcp user, and have balked at AE and Pp because i have an intel mac, but with cs3 i guess it'll will be worth a shot.

by the by, any way to pull off the AE method with anything in fcp (i also have shake)? I know people have talked about the difference between interpolation and frame blending being the thing that makes the AE method stand apart...just wondering if maybe shake is capable of this?

thanks again for honesty and integrity watchdogs! as soon as i get my xl2 i'll put up some footage.

peace.
-Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Scruggs; May 11th, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Major Player

I read somewhere that the same thing can be accomplished using Cinema Tools, but I have not tried it out yet. I am also on a mac and use FCP, but I picked up a copy of AE after getting a chance to play around with it a little bit, it's actually a pretty kick as..... butt compositing program and is available for intel macs. Anyway, I plan on trying out the cinema tools method as soon as I can and will post my findings soon.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

fact is that if you are only posting to the web, you can shoot iframe and use each frame as a full picture (it will give you 60p) and with interpolation you can go 120p easily.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mistake

Hello DVinfo,

I wanted to let people know that Mr.Scruggs was mislead when the XL2 can ramp, it cannot. The effect is done by an editing process in final cut and cinema tools. Please excuse any misreadings i might have listed and i hope that this solves peoples issues on the matter.

Sorry for all confusion

Mike Krumlauf
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #12
New Boot

????

so is this mike saying that he was joking/lying/pulling our leg this whole time? or is he just trying to make me look stupid for some reason?

oh well...guess it was a joke. very funny.

thanks for all the legitimate info though.

peace. and keep it REAL.

p.s. mike, i still think your vids are awsome, no matter how you make them. ;)

-Jonathan
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #13
Major Player

No, he is now just trying to save his reputatation as to not be labeled as a liar in the independent film circuit, but I think it's a little late for that..... the damage is already done. You know that people are going to have a hard time believing anything that comes off your keyboard now, don't you Michael? Sorry, not trying to be mean. Just stating the obvious.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #14
Wrangler

Ok, that's enough...

The question has been asked and answered. The name calling really isn't acceptable here either. I'm closing the thread.

It would be a nice 'hack' if it were true. BTW, those looking for some great speed ramping and fast/slow motion effects should check out Twixtor. It's a great plug-in for FCP.

regards,

-gb-
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders