First Accesories for xl2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1
New Boot

First Accesories for xl2?

I should be getting a shiny new xl2 within the next few weeks, just wondering if you guys have any "must-have" accessory suggestions.

I know a great light kit and a tripod goes a long way, but i'm talking stuff specifically for the camera (ala matte boxes, filters, viewfinders).

I know that the application will determine a lot of this, but the fact is i'll be using it for a lot of different tasks, mostly single-camera hand-held stuff though (promos/commercials for websites, concert footage for bands, maybe some documentary type stuff for current tv).

anyway, suggest away.

-Jonathan
Jonathan Scruggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Jonathan,

A 3x close-up lens is probably #1!

Mike
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just got the 3X lens for my XL2 and I love it. I'd rate that as the #1 accessory. I'd also consider adding some filters.
Jon Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike and Jon have it right on! I thought our 3x was a bit way off our budget, but after some deliberation, and adjusting, we went for it. Never once regreted it. We use it for a variety of things: landscape beauty shots, run & gun, and sit-down interviews. (And don't forget to buy a UV lens filter for your 3x and stock lenses.)

I would next look into buying audio accessories. The XL2's stock stereo mic is okay/average, specifically for okay/average applications. But like you said, if you're gonna be versatile (commercials, concerts, etc.), you need to upgrade:

1) a decent shotgun mic--we have the AT897 (good value shotgun), along with a Rode shockmount, and Ktek short boom pole

2) a wireless lav system--recently added the ATU101 system, with the AT899 lav mic.

We used both the shotgun mic, plus the wireless lav for a recent documentary, and both worked great.

Anyway, just my two cents. Have fun with your new XL2!

Best,

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you will be doing long shoots, I would suggest the dual battery 910 setup. Not only can you replace batteries without shutting down the camera, it sits better on your shoulder, and you actually get more life out of the batteries, due to them running in series (i believe) which produces less heat, and drains less power. I actually get an hour or two extra out of each BP945 with the setup.

Circular Polarizer. For Outdoor shots, I think It really helps with color and dialing out reflections. But you need to adjust it with every shot.

Brandon
Brandon Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Are you guys all running the Canon 3x lens or another one?

What about a wide angle lens/adapter? I've found my 20x doesn't pull back far enough in small rooms (like 8x10) for interview shots.

Eric
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

As Brandon says, the first most important accessory is some kind of extended battery setup. Whether it's the canon dual battery holder, an anton bauer system or just a bunch of batteries on hand. VERY important.

I do love the 16x manual lens and would consider it essential (even before the 3x) if you want 'professional' results, ie: focusing

After that, it's fun to have a matte box and follow-focus. I've been using the Chrosziel setup for a few years and love it.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Inner Circle

With Jonathan's stated usage, I would certainly get the 3x long before the 16x manual, which I also have. The stock 20x lens is just fine for what he is doing in my opinion.

The extra batteries would also be good though! The ones I bought on eBay performed equally as well or even better than the stock Canon's.

Mike
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Mike, do you know which brand/model batteries they are?
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #10
New Boot

just to let everyone know, i appreciate all the suggestions...great help. this will my only reply unless i have a question, but you guys are making great suggestions and i'm keeping notes! thanks.

peace.
-Jonathan
Jonathan Scruggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders