DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   donīt play jokes on your girlfriend w XL2 in hand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/95642-don-t-play-jokes-your-girlfriend-w-xl2-hand.html)

Matthew Jackson June 2nd, 2007 05:42 PM

donīt play jokes on your girlfriend w XL2 in hand

Today I was driving around the city with my trustee Director of Photography (girlfriend) and she was sitting in the car while I was filming some buildings and sculptures... anyway... I decided to sneak up on her and scare her... so I ran up to her window and banged on the window, with GREAT success, then proceeded to run past her directly, camera first, into a steel pipe bollard... breaking off my 3X ( thank god it wasnīt my 20x) at the boot... but upon review of my magnificent trainwreck... it really just took the screws out from the metal to the plastic at the base of the lens... may be I can repair it tonight... all the wires are connected, and the camera works fine with my 20x.....

moral:

DONīT SCARE YOUR GIRLFRIEND WITH CAMERA IN HAND

more later... and an update on the 3X lens.....

thought someone might get a laugh out of this... because if the lens is done, thatīs all there is to take away...

PS From my girlfriend I got a big ĻHA!Ļ She thought i hit something else on the pipe... which my camera blocked....

Boyd Ostroff June 2nd, 2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jackson (Post 690932)
She thought i hit something else on the pipe... which my camera blocked....

Actually, that might be an argument in favor of having your XL2 in hand while scaring your girlfriend...

;-)

Kelly Harmsworth June 2nd, 2007 10:24 PM

were you rolling tape? if so you should post the video.

:-)

Matthew Jackson June 3rd, 2007 03:07 PM

it definitely was helpful to have it in my hands, in that respect... no personal injuries, except for the "nice going stupid" factor...

No, I wasn't rolling... was walking back to the car.

Well, I checked out the lens today essentially what happened was the 3X lens hit on the pipe bollard, and stripped the lens from the metal lens ring... the screws just stripped out... a couple sheared... I put the lens ring back on today, and screwed it back together, and tested it... (I bought the lens used, and it wasn't that great to begin with) but when I turn the zoom ring it makes a grinding servo-y noise... and maybe the focus and response is a little slower... I'm going to send it in I think, but it seems to work alright... but there's definitely SOMETHING wrong with it...

Gabriel Yeager June 3rd, 2007 03:51 PM

Haha! I think I would have laughed too if I was in her position! lol!

Glad you did not get hurt. To bad the camera did tho...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jackson (Post 690932)
DON´T SCARE YOUR GIRLFRIEND WITH CAMERA IN HAND

Uhh, shouldn't that always be the case? Camera or not? lol!

Happy filming!
~Gabriel

Ian G. Thompson June 3rd, 2007 04:16 PM

Well....I scared my wife once....um....let's just say..I'm greatful to have two healthy baby girls and currently in negotiations for a boy....whew. :-P

Dale Guthormsen June 3rd, 2007 10:22 PM

good evening,

I can appreciate the fun, sad about the camera.

No one is safe in our home, ever.

I never knew how loud a women could scream until I scared my new bride (1974) at 3:30 in the am as she sat indisposed in the dark. the war has been on ever sense!! I am not sure our childeren are normal,lol.

Tony Nguyen June 3rd, 2007 10:32 PM

Ummmm.... make sure I don't buy your camera in the future or see it on ebay.... pahahahha.

I'm not sure how the fourms can help you with this sticky situtation. Maybe send it to Canon and tell them it just fell apart, just to see what they say.

Ian Stark June 4th, 2007 01:00 PM

Vaguely similar story - I was at a really run down zoo in France some years ago shooting a tilt up from the feet of a vast emu, 12 inches away, behind a chain link fence.

I slowly passed up the body of the bird, to give the viewer an impression of its size, tilted on up its neck, and finally arrived at the head, which completely filled my viewfinder as the bloody thing head-butted the lens with all its might, causing me to fall backwards into a startled group of elderly visitors.

Scared the pants off me. My young children both actually wet themselves with laughter. My wife claimed she had better control. Not convinced.

Sadly, the tape is in the "must get round to logging that box of 200+ tapes one day".