DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Cheap camera to serve as a capture cam from footage shot with XL2.. suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/95993-cheap-camera-serve-capture-cam-footage-shot-xl2-suggestions.html)

Jason Wong June 7th, 2007 06:24 AM

Cheap camera to serve as a capture cam from footage shot with XL2.. suggestions?

Hello everyone.
I'm going to get my XL2 soon (probably tomorrow), and I've been thinking of buying another cheap miniDV cam to serve as the capturing deck (capture my footage to my NLE using this cheap one, as a real DV deck is too expensive for me currently).

I'm using PAL, and based on information I've gathered in this forum, any miniDV cam can be used as a capture deck for footage shot with XL2, as long as it's 4:3 and 60i or 50i (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Now, what if I'm going to shoot 16:9 with 50i, or 16:9 with 25p, or even 4:3 with 25p ? Would I need a miniDV cam that can shoot in 16:9 and 25p as well?
Most of my shot would be an effect shot, where I'd tinker with the footage further in my PC, and based on many expriments, I think I'd need 25p to avoid interlacing problem. And I can live with shooting 4:3 as long as I can get my footage in 25p.

So far, my choices for this capture cam would be anything under $300, namely Canon MV850i or Canon MV-920 (both support 16:9, although interlaced). I don't care about the record capability or any features of these cameras, as I'm going to use it strictly for capture cam.

If anyone has any suggestions (such as using other brands) or some experiences using any of the cameras above for the capture cam with XL2 footage, please help.

Thank you very much.

Chris Hurd June 7th, 2007 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Wong (Post 693262)
Now, what if I'm going to shoot 16:9 with 50i, or 16:9 with 25p, or even 4:3 with 25p ? Would I need a miniDV cam that can shoot in 16:9 and 25p as well?

No -- any DV camcorder will do for playback.

There are literally dozens of threads that already discuss this topic, of using a consumer camcorder as a deck. Please search for those threads and use them. Thanks in advance,

Jason Wong June 7th, 2007 11:00 PM

Ok, thanks Chris, just did and I've found some detailed answer.
I'm sorry for cluttering the forum by asking without thorough searching. I think I was using the wrong keywords the last time I searched :)

Thijo van Beek July 6th, 2007 07:05 AM

audio channels

Will any DVcamcorder also give the sound, recorded on Ch 1/3 ánd Ch 2/4?

Paul Cuoco July 6th, 2007 12:41 PM

Yes as long as your capturing over firewire.

Alex Hall July 7th, 2007 11:02 PM

Mini DV camera

I use a Cannon ZR 500, Its a cheap camera that works great or capturing footage.