Varizoom VZRock Problems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #1
New Boot

Varizoom VZRock Problems?

I just purchased a Varizoom VZ-Rock LANC controller for my XL2 and the zoom is horribly choppy. Because it is so jerky, I think the unit is defective. Have others had problems or heard of problems similar to this? I'm sending it back to B&H but wondering if I should buy another one or go with the Canon ZR-1000. The Canon isn't as pretty as the Varizoom and the zoom isn't a nice rocker switch. Thoughts? Thanks!
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #2
New Boot

I have heard great things about the Varizoom unit (used with an XL2) so I believe that yours is defective. I use the Manfrotto 523Pro controller and like the performance. This is pretty subjective so I think an interested buyer should try several before choosing.
Scott Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Major Player

I use the VZ-Rock with the XL-2 with no problems.
Sorry yours is giving you a problem.

Bill
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I, like Bill, use the VZ RocK with an XL2.

The zoom speed is variable. Light touch=slow, heavier touch=fast.

It sounds like you may have a defective controller.

I'm not familiar with the Canon ZR-1000 so no help there.
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had the VZ rock, but it was not consistent enough, so I traded it in for VZ Pro-L controller, which is perfect.

Nice steady control, not based on pressure but a speed wheel which can be varied in real time if you know how to do it.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks everyone for the feedback. The sales rep at B&H had mentioned the Varizoom was returned often because it was defective which gave me the impression that perhaps it was a lower quality product. I just received the Canon ZR-1000 in the mail and it doesn't fit my Bogen tripod handle so I think I'll try the Varizoom again. I like the Varizoom company and have heard only great things about their products.
Brad Bonczkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #7
New Boot

I'm not pushing the product line but the Manfrotto unit I mentioned above is distributed by Bogen....just like your tripod. The 523Pro should work well with your sticks. That's one of the reasons I use it.
Scott Nutter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders