wide adapter vs lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 25th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #16
DVi Contributor

Ryan, please correct me here, but I thought you guys did not allow for the adapter to be mounted on the 3x due to possible contact between the glass elements?? as it locked down on the front of the lens???
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #17
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Chartier View Post
Ryan, please correct me here, but I thought you guys did not allow for the adapter to be mounted on the 3x due to possible contact between the glass elements?? as it locked down on the front of the lens???
That was a previous issue but no longer as we redesigned the spacing of the elements relative to the lock ring to fix the problem. I cannot gaurantee this would be a problem with older .6x lenses unless you provide me with the serial number of the lens in question.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

1.6X Extender

I was just wondering if using the 1.6X Extender with the 3X wide angle lens would cause more noticable barrel distortion.
Old January 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Now there's a thought - use a telephoto converter on Canon's very expensive 3x wide-angle zoom. I've got to ask why, Jay.

But barrel distortion is very rarely (if ever) a problem when using telephoto converters. I haven't tried the combo you describe, but I'd say pincushion distortion was a more likely outcome.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

To be honest I have very little experience with lenses. The large majority of cameras I have used have been fixed lens and I just recently upgraded to the XL2. (2 days ago) Reading through this thread I see that wants to be able to zoom in for high detail on the auto repair action yet retain a wide angle. He said --Example: I'm crouching underneath a truck that's up on a vehicle lift. I'm videoing the installation of some specialty product. Can I be videoing action overall from 3'-4' away and then quickly zoom in and see a tiny detail or a small screw being turned? Just an idea. Like I said I have very little experience with different lenses. Right now I have a 3X and an extender on the way so I will try it out.
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #21
Major Player

Will,
I am ver familiar with the type of shots you are talking about.

IMO - I think the 3x lens will be much better when you are able to move the camera close to your target. However, the 20x for obvious reasons will allow you to zoom in better. Keep in mind that your lighting will change dramatically in all of the variations.

In my experience with my 20x adapter the wide angle gets very distorted on the edges when I zoom in on something. My 3x lens does very well in the close quarters.

Another thing you can do is buy both used. I am currently trying to get rid of a 16x lens for about $500. You can buy both lens (in very good cond) for about $700 if you shop it.
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders