wide adapter vs lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
New Boot

wide adapter vs lens

This time the question is which shot will be wider? Shot with lens or adapter? I am taling about 0.6 an 0.7 adapters for 20X lens.
And will the image quality suffer a lot with the adapter? Or it will be small side distortion?

Cheers!
Edgar Dubrovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #2
New Boot

The Century Optics .6x adapter comes out to 20-200mm on the 20x XL2 stock lens; the .7x comes out to a little less (see http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=208&IID=1736).

There are other adapters out there (I mean the cheapos), but from what I've heard, their quality is not good (vignetting and distortion). Check the forums for what people say about the adapters.

In the end, the 3x lens is best for wide-angle, but it is pretty pricey.

**note, if I am not mistaken, the NEW version of the .7x lens is very pricey (about $700 new), at that price, plus another $100, you could pick up the 3x lens on ebay!

Last edited by Eduardo Ramos; June 26th, 2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added info on 3x and .7x pricing
Eduardo Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #3
New Boot

The lens' specs confuse me a bit.

0.6 says it has 20-200mm focal lens in 35mm equivalent. However it does not specify, is it 16x9 or 4x3.
At the same time on canon xl2 watchdog they say that x3 is 26.6 - 79.8mm wide in 35mm equivalent in 16x9.

So i t seems that 0.6x adapter is wider. Is it actually mich wider? Or it won't make a huge difference? What is better - to buy the adaptor for $550 or th x3 lens for $750?
Edgar Dubrovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Get the 3x, I did years ago and NEVER regreted it. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Ramos View Post
The Century Optics .6x adapter comes out to 20-200mm on the 20x XL2 stock lens;

I thought the Century .x6 was more like 24-188mm on the 20x.

-- peer
Peer Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM   #6
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Dubrovskiy View Post
This time the question is which shot will be wider? Shot with lens or adapter? I am taling about 0.6 an 0.7 adapters for 20X lens.
And will the image quality suffer a lot with the adapter? Or it will be small side distortion?

Cheers!
Edgar,

A .6x will get your lens 40% wider than it already is in either 16:9 or 4:3 mode. A .7x will get your lens 30% wider.

Anytime you add an adapter to the front of a lens, you will reduce some of the quality of the original optics. How much and to what degree is the question. A high quality adapter will not reduce the image quality anywhere near what a lower cost one will.

The Canon 3x will be a better quality image than the 20x with a .6x adapter. However, the issue of cost and will you really notice both come into play. I have heard it both ways and the general feeling is that a .6x is good enough quality for most applications and is a lot less expensive than buying a whole new lens.

Either way, I am certain you will be satisfied with the result.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Wait, wait, wait a minute...

Ryan,

I just got budget approval for an XL2 and this issue is very important to me. I can snag the 20x kit, or I can buy the body kit and purchase the 3X lens (which costs more...)

We do video installations of our automotive products. I wanted to get the 3x lens so I can use the camera in close quarters (inside of a vehicle, in the trunk, underneath a truck, under the hood).

How close can I realistically get to something with the 20x and a wide angle converter? I was thinking that I'd have to use the 3X Canon lens. Is this not the case?

Thanks,
Will
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Mahoney View Post
Ryan,

I just got budget approval for an XL2 and this issue is very important to me. I can snag the 20x kit, or I can buy the body kit and purchase the 3X lens (which costs more...)

We do video installations of our automotive products. I wanted to get the 3x lens so I can use the camera in close quarters (inside of a vehicle, in the trunk, underneath a truck, under the hood).

How close can I realistically get to something with the 20x and a wide angle converter? I was thinking that I'd have to use the 3X Canon lens. Is this not the case?

Thanks,
Will
Will,

Here are the 35mm still equivalents of the various combinations. These numbers are in 16:9 mode. As you can see, the Canon 3x and 20x with the .6x installed are the same!

Canon 3x = 24mm-75mm

Canon 20x = 40mm-800mm

Canon 20x with Schneider/Century .6x = 24mm-242mm

Again the difference is that the quality of the image will likely be a bit better with the 3x installed but most of our users do not find it appreciable. We of course make the .6x for the 3x as well for a really wide 15mm shot.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
We of course make the .6x for the 3x as well for a really wide 15mm shot.

Since both the 20x and the 3x lens have the same diameter, I wonder if the Century .6x made for a 20x will also work on the 3x?

-- peer
Peer Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The nicest thing that can be said of Canon's own 3x wide-angle zoom is that the barrel distortion is very well controlled. So if you're like me and want your straight lines to remain straight then avoid the screw-on converters, especially the more powerful ones.

The downer on Canon's lens is the price, size and weight for such a feeble (24 mm equiv) wide-angle coverage.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Ryan, I hope you're still listening...

So check it out. Can I zoom through the wide angle converter?

Example: I'm crouching underneath a truck that's up on a vehicle lift. I'm videoing the installation of some specialty product. Can I be videoing action overall from 3'-4' away and then quickly zoom in and see a tiny detail or a small screw being turned?

Or is the image going to get all distorted if I try to zoom in? (like what happens now on our cheap ZR85 w/ the Canon Wide Angle attachment.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Will
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Will - there are two types of screw-on wide-angle converters (as against the interchangeable lenses of the XL Canons and suchlike).

There's the 'partial zoom through' which are generally (though not always) single element adapters. These are smaller, lighter, more compact than the full zoom through converters, but (typically) mean that your 12x zoom will be reduced to a 6 or 7x zoom before the image blurs irredeemably.

The full zoom-through converters still give you a 12x zoom, but move it all down into the wide-angle end. So if you had a 5 to 60 mm zoom, a 0.5x converter will change that to a 2.5 to 30 mm zoom.

So what you're asking for (to zoom in on tiny details with your widie in place) will certainly be compromised.

tom.
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #13
Major Player

Ok, I'm hearing you. Unfortunately, I don't think that the 3X will help in that regard either. I can see something from 3'-4' away, but it doesn't have enough zoom to punch in tight and see the screw being turned, or whatever tiny detail I may want to see.

It sounds like I may have to go with the .6 wide adaptor on the 20X lens. Then I'll pull the adaptor off when I need to zoom in closely on something. How does the adaptor mount? Is quick mounting and removal a realistic option?
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Then I'll pull the adaptor off when I need to zoom in closely on something.
Good thinking. Attach the wide converter when you need the coverage, DoF, shake reduction or perspective control, and take it off at all other times.
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Ryan, I hope you're still listening...

So check it out. Can I zoom through the wide angle converter?

Example: I'm crouching underneath a truck that's up on a vehicle lift. I'm videoing the installation of some specialty product. Can I be videoing action overall from 3'-4' away and then quickly zoom in and see a tiny detail or a small screw being turned?

Or is the image going to get all distorted if I try to zoom in? (like what happens now on our cheap ZR85 w/ the Canon Wide Angle attachment.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Will
This was basically already answered but no you cannot zoom through the .6x. You get about 1/2 of the zoom range with the 20x lens.

In answer to other questions, yes you can use the Century .6x on both the 20x and 3x lenses.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders