DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 and hard drive competing for connection (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/98319-xl2-hard-drive-competing-connection.html)

Ryan Mueller July 6th, 2007 10:08 AM

XL2 and hard drive competing for connection

I posted this on the "editing on mac" forum also, because I am not sure if this is a FCP problem or XL2 problem so here it is:

When I connect my 1tb hard drive via firewire 800, and the camera for capture via firewire 400, the two compete for connectivity. I am trying to capture with my macbook pro directly through to my external, but when trying to capture there is no video and it intermitently disconnects my hard drive from my mac. Has anyone run into this problem before, and if so how did you fix it? I connect the hard drive via USB 2.0 and it opporates as it should, but I get dropped frames so I need to be able to connect via firewire 800. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

Boyd Ostroff July 6th, 2007 10:34 AM

I think the easiest fix would be to get a firewire card for your MBP. I assume there are now ExpressCard options for this... I have a G4 Powerbook and was able to get a firewire PC card for about $30.

Adding the card will give you two completely separate firewire busses. All of the internal firewire ports on your computer (800 and 400) are actually on the same bus. Based on anecdotal evidence from posts around here, the XL2, XL1 and GL2 all seem to have firewire issues on the Mac unfortunately.

Greg Boston July 6th, 2007 10:47 AM

In addition to Boyd's excellent advice, you should know that the firewire bus has to slow to the speed of the slowest device attached. So your FW800 drive is being pulled down to a very slow transfer speed to accomodate the camera.

As Boyd says, you need to get the devices on a separate bus, so you'll need to acquire an Expresscard to Firewire adapter. This should alleviate the issue.

-gb-

Jonathan Kirsch July 6th, 2007 11:45 AM

On another piece of advice (and I know this has been discussed in other posts), how about using a deck instead of the camera? Shouldn't use the camera to capture video anyway...ruins the tape transport.

Jonathan

Ryan Mueller July 6th, 2007 06:43 PM

Yes, you are completely right Jonathan. Yet I am a "starving student". Though I have found a few paying jobs in my spare time, school takes up most of my time so I don't have the money to fork out for a deck at the moment. I do plan on picking up a fairly cheap camera for capture in the next month or so though. Until then I have no choice other than to use my XL2 as a capture device. I'm sure you know how it goes?

Ryan Mueller July 6th, 2007 06:53 PM

BTW

Thanks for the input! Exactly the answer I was looking for. I never even thought about a card. That's exactly why I love this sit; I have a brain fart and I can always count on somebody to put the piece back in the puzzle that is my scattered brain.... at times. Thanks again.

Ryan

Ryan Chaney July 7th, 2007 11:01 AM

One More Thing

This may or may not help your specific situation, but just FYI make sure you're using Firewire Basic in your FCP capture settings with any Canon camcorders. I've used my XL2, XL1S, GL2, and HV20 all without problems as long as I choose Firewire Basic and capture through a third-party Firewire card (to avoid conflicts with my hard drives from using Apple's built-in bus, as you've described). The only Canon I've had a much of problem with is their little ZR500, which I use as a cheapo capture deck.

Good luck!

Ryan Mueller July 7th, 2007 11:36 AM

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the additional info. Just out of curiosity, why firewire basic with any CANON camcorder?

Jonathan Kirsch July 7th, 2007 04:13 PM

Ryan...

Yeah, I know you know better. Just wanted to post it for others viewing this thread who don't know. I think the card's the way to go, too. By the way, how long til you're out of AiC?
Jonathan

Ryan Mueller July 7th, 2007 05:32 PM

I have a little less than a year left. I'm already getting a little anxious for graduation. Oh well, one day at a time right.

Ryan Chaney July 9th, 2007 01:37 PM

"Hey Ryan,
Thanks for the additional info. Just out of curiosity, why firewire basic with any CANON camcorder?"

I'm not sure WHY Canon camcorders need to be used with FireWire Basic, just that they need to... The FCP forums at Apple's website always suggest doing so, as does the FCP user's manual if I remember correctly. It gives no explanation of the reason, but simply says to do it.

Personally, I don't need to understand the reasoning as long as it works! =)