I just Stole a 16x Manual! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I just Stole a 16x Manual!

Well, at least it feels like I stole it. I won it on eBay for a measy $405.00 and it came with a Tiffen Haze 1 filter. So far both the lens and filter seem in mint condition; the glass on both are flawless.

I don't know why it sold for so low, maybe it's because the seller's history was so low, and no body wanted to risk it. Maybe because the auction ended at a bad time in morning on a week day, when most are just starting work and can't mess around on the internet, checking their bids.

I didn't even snipe the the thing. I, too, had to go to work on a job and I left my highest bid a $500 thinking there was no way I'd win; the thing usually sells between $650-$850. But when I came home later that night, I was utterly suprised to see that not only did I win, but I got it for $100 less than I than my maximum bid. Crazy.

Anyway it didn't come with manual so I'm wondering if there are any important things I should know about the lens. Perhaps some back focus tips?

Thanks.
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

SCORE!!! You win my friend. An excellent buy.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=manual
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Heck of a deal!!! Just goes to show that sometimes things are worth the risk. I hope be be as lucky when I buy my 16x.

"If you don't risk anything, you risk even more." - Erica Jong
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I notice when I focus the lens seems to breath more than the 20x, is this normal? Or is it a back focus issue?
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Major Player

That's normal, the 16x manual lens does "breathe" when adjusting focus. The only real downside to the lens, that and it's not wide enough when zoomed out all the way.
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Trustee

...And there was me thinking some thief had owned up to swiping mine in Spain..!

Nice catch R.W., it is a great lens to use. There was also a mint Manual 16X that sold for even less than yours a few weeks back in UK, but I was away from the PC and missed the end of auction....damn!
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

how come there's a hole on the lens, between the two phillips screws, between the focus and zoom ring?

here's a photo: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

what's up with that? mr. Hurd? anyone?
R.W. Swanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders