Skin Detail Settings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #1
New Boot

Skin Detail Settings?

Anyone having moray issues with the Skin Detail set to 'highest'? I've shot four projects now, and first off, there is so much detail that I get terrible flickering/moray from horizontal edges in the video. The last talking head we produced I had to add the maximum flicker filter in Final Cut Pro to make the video acceptable.

The skin tones also seem to be 'washed' out. My partner viewed the footage and said it sort of looked like everything was in focus except the talent's face. It was a conference meeting with the talent sitting about 12 feet away from the camera. We shot in 4x3 SD.

I plan to do some more testing, but for sure I'm going to begin shooting with skin detail set to 'low'.
Brian Tetamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Brian...I've has similar problems. Small vertical and horizontal lines are "aliased". I thought it was a skin detail also.

Heres what I've found...and anyone can chime in...but this is from Canon directly.

I spoke with one of the reps about this same problem.

1. It only occurs in SD.
2. Vertical and Horizontal lines are aliased.
3. Video just looks....well "bad".

Canon basically told me the chips are designed as 16x9 chips..and HD. He also agreed that this is a bit of an issue because the imaging chips must "res-down" to SD and there is probably too much info there for SD to handle. Therefore the aliasing occuring with small lines.

The camera was really made as a HD camera...and SD is just a "courtesy".

He suggested trying shooting the footage in 16x9 mode in SD...then centerpunching the footage in post. I haven't tried this...but his idea was that at least the native 16x9 chips would be giving full information and that might help.

Again...this is my 2 cents worth. I have NEVER shot any SD with this camera after this problem...I couldn't beat it.

HD...on the otherhand doesn't get any better unless you shooting with a Cine Alta. 60i or 24f...the image is fabulous.

I know this isn't a "solution"....but maybe something to think about.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Will shooting in HD, then down rezzing to SD, give a better image, than just shooting in SD to start with?

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders