Is this price for real? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Closed Thread

Old August 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this price for real?

I'm not sure of the rules on this forum, so I'll tread lightly, but please delete this post if it's not within the rules. I know it's usually not right to talk about pricing on sites like this.

I won't link to any of the sites (anybody taht uses Google to search "Canon XL-H1 DV forum" can see the links), but can the XL-H1 (with lens) be had for $3,049? That's pretty far from the $9,000 MSRP of this camera. Wouldn't you say? Maybe I've been out of the loop for a while and this camera really has come this far down in price, but that seems awefully low.

I just don't want to get screwed, but it appears as though multiple online retailers are selling at that price.

Is Canon releasing an XL-H2 or something that I don't know about?
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If its too good to be true, then it is too good to be true. The general rule here is to use trusted suppliers, and you will only be disappointed by these outlandish price listings....DVInfo actually has trusted and fairly priced suppliers and dealers that are sponsers on this site, and its members are encouraged to support them.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Trustee

Chet,

I ALMOST fell for one of those. I ordered a still camera, EOS Rebel, and got a call the next day, a verification call. Seems normal. They then proceeded to ask me if I wanted the other parts to the camera. Parts? What other parts? They said the camera I ordered was an empty casing and I would need to spend $500 for the internal components, and $200 for the software and USB cable!!!

I said "First of all your ad doesn't say that so that is bait and switch"

and

"Second of all I have a $6 mem card reader that bypasses the software needed AND the pricey USB cable you're trying to sell me, please cancel my order."

THE END.
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Wrangler

Please see:
http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Wagner View Post
They then proceeded to ask me if I wanted the other parts to the camera. Parts? What other parts? They said the camera I ordered was an empty casing and I would need to spend $500 for the internal components, and $200 for the software and USB cable!
I figured this was the deal. Although I've never experienced before, I've heard those types of stories. The only problem with their little bait and switch is that they say on their web site that it is "New in Box" and "Factory Fresh". The description also talks about the lens (so that shouldn't be sold separately). Their store also has high ratings. I guess those are all a part of the scam. I just looked at McAfee's site advisor and they are marked with a red X. Definitely a scam.
Old August 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #6
New Boot

it is a scam that will cost you more...

it definitely is a scam... as i went through a similar story as Marco Wagner did...
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just to briefly back up the other responses, I e-mailed some of those companies and never got a response. you'll never see the camera or your money again. DON'T DO IT!
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Now you know why we direct *all* where to buy questions to our trusted DV Info Net sponsors exclusively.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders