DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   CanonXLH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/102348-canonxlh1.html)

Ian Thomas August 28th, 2007 02:23 PM

CanonXLH1

I know this has been posted before so sorry if iam starting a new thread

Iam shooting with the XLH1 and downconverting onto the computer with the HV10 and although this camera has only the composite outputs i don't seem to get the quality that i got with the XL2 the images just look better,

As you can see from my thread Fox and mouse on the over land and over water threads the last clip fox cubs just looks soft, yes i know its youtube compression but the clips do not look much better at this end, At the time of shooting everything looked fine through finder. also i have not seen the clips on a HDV tv so i dont know what they look like in hd

Any ideas

Bill Pryor August 28th, 2007 02:42 PM

Composite output? That would be a problem. The camera has firewire; aren't you using it? If you're capturing footage with a composite output, it's going to go softer than firewire.

Ian Thomas August 28th, 2007 02:50 PM

Hi Bill

sorry if i didn't make it clear yes Iam capturing to the computer vi firewire and the composite connections are to my Tv moniter, the images on the computer screen seem a little better than the one on the TV screen but not much even the SD footage looks sharper on the TV screen

Dan Keaton August 28th, 2007 03:24 PM

Are you capturing HD, or are you converting to SD in the camera during the capture? If you are, try capturing in HD, then downconvert to SD, if necessary, in your editor.

Ian Thomas August 28th, 2007 03:43 PM

Hi Dan

I use Avid Liquid 7 can you capture in hd and then downconvert to sd

Dan Keaton August 28th, 2007 03:52 PM

Sorry, I am not an Avid expert.

In most any editor you can capture HD and then downconvert (or just convert) to the output format that you desire. I expect Avid to do this.

Geir Inge August 29th, 2007 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Thomas (Post 735872)
Hi Dan

I use Avid Liquid 7 can you capture in hd and then downconvert to sd

Hi Ian.
I'm a AL 7.2 user and my XLH1 works fine together with AL.

Capture HD?
the XLH1 is caturing HDV on miniDV tape. You can catch HD but then you have to have en ext device/disk to your camcorder. I'm not sure if you will see any difference between HD and HDV. Why shoot HD when HDV is great?

Convert to SD?
yes you can but you will lose some of the great HDV quality.

Take your XLH1 to a reseller and ask for to try out your HDV films on a HD-ready TV.

Will Griffith August 29th, 2007 06:13 AM

If you connect a 12 Megapixel Canon 5D to a HDTV with
the composite cable it looks bad as well. :)

Use the hv10's component cable to connect to
a HDTV at a cunsumer electronics store and
I promise you will see a marked improvement
over the XL2. (assuming you shot in HDV, not SD)

The hv10 is probibly just converting to a low quality
SD signal on the fly, so it's not going to be that
sharp.

The XL2 makes great SD out of the box, just like the
H1 makes great HDV.

Per Johan Naesje August 29th, 2007 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Thomas (Post 735816)
Iam shooting with the XLH1 and downconverting onto the computer with the HV10 and although this camera has only the composite outputs i don't seem to get the quality that i got with the XL2 the images just look better,

As you can see from my thread Fox and mouse on the over land and over water threads the last clip fox cubs just looks soft, yes i know its youtube compression but the clips do not look much better at this end, At the time of shooting everything looked fine through finder. also i have not seen the clips on a HDV tv so i dont know what they look like in hd

Any ideas

Ian,
I'm not sure if I understand your problem? I use the same setup as you, shoot with XLH1 and capture with HV10 to my computer, my NLE is Avid Liquid 7.2.
I always shoot in HDV with the XLH1, then back home I switch the tape to HV10 and capture HDV via firewire into Avid Liquid 7.2 (the good news is that the 7.2 patch support canon 25f progressive format). I edit on a HDV timeline. In lack of any suitable HD-DVD, I then record back to tape on to HV10 my finished film. To view my film in HD I connect the HV10 to HD-TV via a hdmi-cable and voila you got a stunning HD picture!

Ian Thomas August 29th, 2007 11:41 AM

Thanks everybody for your replays

Per

So what you are saying that you capture HD on to the timeline then edit, then send back to the Hv10 on to mini dv tape, and then you can play it back on a HDV tv ok

So if i want to make a SD DVD from the edited piece can you do this in Avid Liquid 7

Thanks sorry for the thickness new to HD

Per Johan Naesje August 29th, 2007 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Thomas (Post 736355)
So if i want to make a SD DVD from the edited piece can you do this in Avid Liquid 7

Thanks sorry for the thickness new to HD

I don't know how familar you are with this function in Avid Liquid? But you do it in exactly the same way as in a SD timeline.

Procedure for a DVD menu:
in the HDV timeline, make a blank space of approx. 15 seconds in front of your finished film, if necessary make markers where you want chapters in the timeline. Put the red marker at the beginning of the timeline, choose Tools - DVD - Wizard, then choose a template, click the blue arrow to the right and then select any links (markers) that you have preset. Click the apply and the application build a dvd-menu for you. Of course you can then edit it to your likings but for now just leave it as it is.

Then go to File - Burn to disk - DVD, choose a preset like DVD direct to disk (which will burn a dvd directly) the application will when you click the OK-button start to render your HDV-timeline and copy to the DVD. Note that this will be a compressed file in SD-format.

Hope this helps?

Ian Thomas August 30th, 2007 12:18 AM

Per

Thanks very much did a little test and it worked fine, looks better than downconverted stuff

Thanks again
Ian