H1 used with Panasonic aj-hd1400 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Major Player

H1 used with Panasonic aj-hd1400

Hi all,

anyone had any experience using the H1 with the aj-4d1400 or 1200a decks?

I know the first Canon demo footage of 24f was recorded on a 1200a and it was a pretty meaty image. but other than that I have never seen any footage shot with that package and I am likely going to be using it to shoot a feature last month.

Specifically, Has anyone had any experience keying or color correcting from DVCproHD 1080 24P shot on the H1

Thanks in advance,

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Jon..

I have used the 1200 with our H1. It works superbly. Make yourself a "triax cable"... :)

HDSDI bnc cable, Timecode Output bnc cable and (if necessary) an RCA stereo to XLR male cable.

Cable tie them all together...give yourself about 10 feet or so....and you can quickly tie the H1 and the deck together. Be sure to color code the HDSDI and TC otherwise you 'll end up spending time trying to figure out which is which.

As far as that....set the deck to "free run" timecode...and voila. I usually started rolling on the H1 about 1-2 seconds first...THEN had the tape op begin recording...so the timecode would be as consistent as possible on the DVCPro 100 tape.

Images were fabulous....we shot 24f....and were delighted.
check out the following links..this is the job we shot with the 1200 deck...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99818

we have not yet tried to chromakey a dvcpro100 image...but I can't imagine you'll have much trouble if your background is evenly lit. We've done a "live" chromakey with the H1...coming directly out of the H1...into our Avid Adrenaline....so compression wasn't an issue....and the chromakey was great.
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks kevin, nice write-up.

I'm pretty sure we'll be using my H1 with a 1400 deck for this shoot as we managed to find a really excellent rental rate on one in town.

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:21 PM   #4
DVi Contributor

you can do it that way or just use single cable. ( for hdsdi ) Audio should be feed directly from sound person to the HD deck, better audio that way, and for that matter just let the decks free run be your master TC. If your also recording in cam I guess the above mentioned method makes since, but why would you need to run both tapes?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders