DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 and 4 channel audio? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/104096-hv20-4-channel-audio.html)

Stephen Eastwood September 21st, 2007 04:25 PM

HV20 and 4 channel audio?

I was curious I have not shot in 4 channel on the XLH1 yet, but if I do can the HV20 which I use as a deck play it back to my system? I think I read a mention that the HV10 can so I would assume the HV20 can, but logical assumptions tend to be misguided with the state of technology now-a-days.

Chris Hurd September 21st, 2007 06:15 PM

Hi Stephen,

Yes it will support 4-channel audio playback. You can even adjust the output balance between the two stereo pairs. See page 41 of the HV20 operator's manual under Audio Out. Hope this helps,

Stephen Eastwood September 22nd, 2007 12:56 AM

Great thought it would, just asking to make sure. Thanks.

Joachim Hoge December 12th, 2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 748188)
Hi Stephen,

Yes it will support 4-channel audio playback. You can even adjust the output balance between the two stereo pairs. See page 41 of the HV20 operator's manual under Audio Out. Hope this helps,

I canīt make it work!
I shot 4CH audio with my H1 and Iīm trying to capture it using the HV20 (I bought today) as a deck.
Even if I have the play back set to Stereo 2 I only manage to capture track 1 & 2. I have the camera mic there and wireless micīs on 3 & 4.
I even hear track 3 & 4 from the HV20, but FC captures track 1 & 2.
From what it looks like, I can only set the tracks for the AV/mic mini jack port and not the firewire port.
It looks like I have to capture the sound seperatly from the AV out. Itīs a real pain as I have rented out my camera and have to capture 3 tapes by tomorrow.
Are you sure this work as you said Chris?

I donīt have the English manual here with me, just a Swedish one (and Iīm Norwegian, but understands most of it)

Chris Hurd December 12th, 2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 791260)
Are you sure this work as you said Chris?

I said the HV20 camcorder supports four-channel audio playback.

However I didn't make any promises about Final Cut Pro. You'll need to search our NLE / Mac forum for instructions about capturing four-channel audio.

Joachim Hoge December 12th, 2007 02:44 PM

Ok Chris.
I see what you wrote now, and please donīt think I blame you for my troubles.
I bought the HV20 before reading this thread as I really need it as a deck.
I usually never use more than 2 channels for audio, so it wonīt be a problem.
I tried using Avid earlier today without luck, but Iīm no editor so maybe itīs a way of doing it.

If anyone else reads this thread at al later point I think this is the way Iīll make it work:
I will hook up my HV20 to a Sony deck tomorrow and make a copy over firewire AND use a mini jack to stereo cable from the AV/mic port on the camera to the audio in port on the Sony deck.
I think this will work.

Kevin Martorana December 12th, 2007 08:11 PM

the only way I' ve been ablbe to make 4ch. audio work (in AVID or FCP) is to capture twice....then sync the 4 channels together....

Joachim Hoge December 13th, 2007 01:00 AM

Hi Kevin
Thanks for clearing that up. I had decided to do either that or use the deck.
No point using the deck to make a new copy of 4 channels if Iīm only able to capture 2 at a time.
Thankfully itīs only 2h15min worth of footage.

Joachim Hoge December 13th, 2007 01:40 PM

Quick up date

In the end I went to the production house today and made a copy of the taps over component in to a DV deck and only laying track 3 & 4. (the wireless microphones).

I had to use the AV/Phones port for sound as I never managed to get track 3 & 4 out over firewire.

And we had to capture twice

Kevin Martorana December 13th, 2007 05:52 PM

OOOPs...forgot to mention that...
3/4 don't go down the firewire...only come out the analog outputs..

and yeahhhh.....capture twice.

HEY...you can do 4 ch. audio....just not all at once !!! ;)

Joachim Hoge December 14th, 2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana (Post 792072)
OOOPs...forgot to mention that...
3/4 don't go down the firewire...only come out the analog outputs..

and yeahhhh.....capture twice.

HEY...you can do 4 ch. audio....just not all at once !!! ;)

Hi Kevin
Does this apply to the H1 as well? I donīt have my camera to test it as itīs rented out

Vence Vida December 14th, 2007 12:52 AM

I know the question was posed to Kevin, but I hope he won't be offended if I answer:

Yes, the same is true of the H1. Channels 1&2 only via firewire. 3&4 have to be captured analogue.

-Vence

Joachim Hoge December 14th, 2007 01:17 AM

Thanks Vence,
Iīm sure he wonīt be offended, and I thank you for a quick answer.